A2 Jetta hood release cable frozen, hood stuck closed

1988 Jetta.

Pull on the hood release, and nothing happens. I can feel the "gives-a-little-but-it's-stuck" resistance, which seems like the cable is corroded in place. That's my best guess anyway, as this car has been sitting for almost a year.

I think if I really yank on the release something will give, but what gives might not be the corrosion!

I've googled a bit and all the posts seem to address how screwed you are if it's an A3. ;-)

How can I open this A2 hood without the release cable?

Thanks for your help,

Max

Reply to
Max

Have a friend/relative push down firmly on either side of the dead-center of the edge of the hood (above the latch, of course) while you pull the release lever. They can rock their pressure on it harder and harder as you pull the release to get it open. Just work with the person to find the right amount of pressure and be sure they don't dent your hood! I have to work a bit to get my 2001 NB hood open too. I actually have to pull up on the hood very firmly before I even pull the lever... otherwise it does absolutely nothing... geez.

TOE

Reply to
TOE