I'm #2 !!! Most stolen car

Page 2 of 3
wrote

The Hell it's not worth comprehensive coverage...the cost to replace broken windows,radio,stolen ECU,or like one girl's GS-R;stolen seats,cold air intake,wheels and tires.... Then there's the major nuisance of your car not working until the missing parts are replaced.
I paid less than $100 a year for $100 deductible.WELL worth it.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

I maintain comprehensive on all my old cars. Hit a deer, you get paid. I pay about $30 each per year for the coverage..
JT
Elle wrote:

One has to admire those that continue to run their old cars.
No longer trapped in the "trade 'n pay" morass, they maximize value and focus on spending money elsewhere rather than feed the monetary squirrel cage.
I only owned one new car in my life, a 1961 VW beetle. That car held its value better than any other vehicle of its time but still, it rusted away long ago.
Besides, tinkering with your old heap of iron helps to keep you from getting into other trouble... (Hear that Teg?)
JT

I think I am getting away from the thinking that, if driven into the ground, a new car is as economical as an old one. I have owned three cars. The last two were purchased spanking new. But now having done a great deal of work on my current wheels (1991 Civic) over the last several years and saving a pile of money, I wonder whether buying used and driving it into the ground is way more savings.

True here.
Waiving the right to remain silent, "Elle"

The week you need it the most will be the week it fails to run and needs $2,500 in repairs, and you've got no warranty. The repairs will probably cost more than the value of the car, so you'll need to purchase another immediately.
What kind of "savings" is that..?

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,

I neglected to mention I am retired.

$2500 in repairs for a 91 Civic translates to either major body work or something like a new engine. Car is worth about $600 right now, per Kelly Blue Book.
I take the bus, bicycle, worst case taxi. Come on, give people some credit.

I do my own effin' repairs. I'd buy a new engine for under $1000, install locally for about $500, and be good to go. Or I'd buy a new car.
wrote

Well, you can pay for that out of the money you saved not making payments for five months.
And if you take care of the heap, that $2,500 repair will be a decided rarity. Most repairs will be far, far less than that.
Maintenance, my friend, maintenance. Neglect is /very/ expensive. Neglect leads to those $2,500 repairs.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Larry in AZ wrote:

Now that's the mentality the new car dealers depend on...
JT
wrote

"Driving it into the ground" actually does work if you limit the "ground" to ten years and no more.
If you intend on keeping it longer than that, maintain it properly and forget the "into the ground" thing.
"Into the ground" implies "neglect". And we all know where that goes...

Keeps me out of the bingo hall, anyway...
And hey, I just went over 297,000 today. I celebrated with an oil change, tightening the hose clamps that keep the (rusted) exhaust heat shields from rattling, and replacing all the rubber exhaust hangers.
I'm such a wild and crazy guy!
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

Even when one does not drive a great deal, the longer you keep your vehicle the farther ahead of the curve you are. Most manufacturers don't even expect the average car to last ten years. You can figure on a 10% attrition rate yearly and by the time ten years comes along, way less than 50% of that year's model have bit the dust.
The sheeple, most of whom subscribe to "Keepin' up with the Smiths," play an important role in the economy. Oddballs such as you and me/Elle etc. reap the benefits of other people's investments, er, spending.

Maybe you should spring for a rattle can paint job on the old gal's 300K anniversary...
<G>
JT

It's interesting that Honda will continue to make and stock parts as long as there is demand. My local parts guy tells me he still orders parts for Acuras from the '80s.
A few parts for my car are now discontinued, but most everything I'd normally need to replace is still in stock.

I just like the old girl. I like knowing the car's history, and planning new projects for her. In the spring it's timing belt time again. :^)
Plus, to me anyway, there's a certain coolness that derives from /not/ following the herd.

And cover up all that original paint? No way Jos.
I did just spend $500 having the hood professionally repainted last year. I need to have it done every five years or so on account of stone chips.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

I was going to post that inability to get parts might be the death knell for my 91 Civic. The fact that slhondaparts.com stopped selling parts for cars 1991 and earlier is a bad sign.

Plus again all that fun. I apply the principles to stock investing as well. Old companies purchased at a value; nothing flashy just reliable and with high mileage from dividends. :-)

... a certain security, a certain je-ne-se-quoi, because the herd seems increasingly broke. We're ahead of the game. We're survivors for the long run.

Plea: Guilty (well for a bit of touchup especially around those rear tire wells).

They just won't carry them, that's all. Honda corporate still has most of them somewhere. I suspect there's only so much work San Leandro is willing to perform and still do business on the Internet.
Many parts for my car must now be shipped in from the various central warehouses, usually the Vancouver one in British Columbia and the Montreal one in Quebec. One part I ordered once had to be shipped directly from Japan. In addition, Honda Canada will sometimes purchase parts from American Honda, piggybacking on AH's greater stockpiles.
As long as demand exists, Honda will continue to commission a production run until the newest car it's for is 20 years old, or even older. Sometimes they will save up backorders until they figure they've got enough demand to justify a new run, meaning it may take months for your brand-new part to arrive.
Mechanical parts normally remain in good supply for a very long time. Honda will help things along with "rationalization", where they will retool one part so it fits more models than it originally was meant to fit, extending parts availability. Distributor rotors and brake pads are good examples of this phenomenon.
The kind of parts that are outright discontinued and no longer in stock are usually the sort nobody ever replaces, like the heater intake cover inside the cowl, and many trim and interior pieces. Body parts are also often discontinued because there's usually a goodly stock of used parts in wrecking yards, so nobody buys new ones.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Elle wrote

Similarly, Majestic Honda in Rhode Island U.S. has long cautioned customers that occasionally it will have to have a part shipped from some central warehouse before shipping to the customer. So I tend to believe you're right.

Indeed, the local U-Pull-It in my former neck of the woods has been a blast. I haven't had to rely on it for critical repairs so far, but maybe this is because I have stayed on top of things, for the most part. I do get to do a little "investigatory work" there, when I am not sure how to get something off my own car. IOW, the stripped down cars are a great education. (I am one fun date?)

I have a fantastic U-Pull type yard only a few miles from me. Lots of older Integras, Accords and Civics in various states of disassembly. And like you say, a great education in how stuff goes on and comes off.
And some of those crashed cars...Really sobering. The worst are those with blood on the seats and no more driver's footwell left...
The only problem for me is that most of my parts are in better shape than the ones on the wrecks, so I usually end up buying new anyway...
When the snow melts and the mud dries up, I should take some pics of this place.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Ha... when I took a vocational manual transmission course a few years ago, some of the young fellows and I had a mean chuckle about coming upon cars like this.
My (forme) local U-Pull-It is amazingly well-organized. One checks in, paying a buck, and a clerk will print out were all the cars of a certain year, model, and make are parked. They change the stock about every three months.

I know what you mean. Still.

I am hoping I can find another such yard in my new location. Still out West, but way more city driving. My miles/gallon has shot down to 35-38-ish.
Tegger wrote:

Let me know if you ever come across an EN1 1300 engine with accessories...
JT

I don't think they have anything that old, but if I remember, I'll check in the spring.
Spring seems a long way off right now. We got ten inches of snow yesterday and I have a six-foot pile of snow at the end of my driveway. When we get more snow I'm not sure where I'm going to put it...
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

It's been cold in Austin too... Freezes for the past couple of mornings and only goin' to 61 today...
BTW, the EN1 engine was the 1300 without CVCC.
<brrrr>
JT
Tegger wrote:

Yes, Honda almost appears alone in that regard. I can still order most parts for the Gen 2 Civics although much better bargains can be had on eBay for closeouts etc.

Knowing what you have is half the battle. The other half is not having a burning desire to keep up with style.