My Si has a DX motor!

Page 1 of 3
I think I posted about this when my timing belt was changed a couple of years ago; the short version was that my usual mechanic told me after he'd finished the work that he thought my 90 CRX Si had a 1.5L engine
instead of the usual 1.6, because the timing belt for a 1.6 didn't fit, but the belt from a 1.5 did. He claimed to have called a friend at a Honda dealer who told him that 1.5L engines had been installed in some Si models. I asked around, but was never able to find anyone else to confirm this, and since the car was running well, I eventually just chalked it up as a curiosity.
Fast forward to several weeks ago, when I had (among other things) what I thought was a leaking rear main seal looked at, but which turned out to be a leaking oil pan gasket. In the process of trying to confirm where the leak was actually originating, the dealer where I had the work done cleaned off a fair amount of the gunk that had accumulated on the various surfaces of the engine.
Yesterday I was poking around under the hood while attempting to change a burned-out low beam, when I happened to shine a light on the front of the block, and there it was, plain as day: D15B2, otherwise known as the motor used in DX models. Sis of this vintage are supposed to have a D16A6. The difference is a longer stroke, slightly higher compression ratio, and, depending on who's counting, between 15-20 horsepower.
I bought the car from an Acura dealer in 1992 with roughly 20K miles on it. I have no idea whether they knowingly sold me the car with a DX motor, or whether it came to them that way and nobody noticed it before it went out on the lot; it's not exactly a difference that's easily spotted visually unless you examine the stamp on the block. But either way, I'm not too pleased. I've been thinking more and more about an engine swap lately, but the reality of taking that path is that it'll cost a lot more for me to do that than it would to be patient and keep my eyes open for a reasonably clean, non-riced CRX that's already had a B16 swapped in by someone who knew what they were doing.
Dave

And a bogus Si sticker from the previous ricer owner.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

check the vehicle reg docs? i doubt it's just a sticker job - the conversion from 2pfi to 4pfi is non-trivial.

The serial number will tell all. Carfax, anyone?

I have an open account. What's the VIN?
Dan D '07 Ody EX Central NJ USA
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

You've got mail - I didn't want to post the number on the net, but feel free to post the results here.
I had a Carfax account briefly several years ago, and at that time I remember running a report for my car, but I don't recall seeing anything unusual then. It's been a while, however, and my memory could certainly be faulty, so I'll be interested to see what it says.
Thanks,
Dave

Huh. I just replied to this thread in the other group, being unaware somebody would try to be clever and remove the crossposting, then continue the thread with info now invisible to the other group. Dumb.
All you need to determine the engine that was shipped with the car is the first eight digits of the VIN. It's the last six that reveal your specific car.
There are many VIN decoding sites on the Internet.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
says...

Well, in that case...JHMED9364LSxxxxxx.
And to answer the question you asked in your other post, I am in the US.
First Google result for "Honda VIN Code", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Automotive_VIN_codes , indicates that this VIN is a 1.6L CRX Si built in Suzuka, Japan. So it appears that, at a minimum, the block was swapped out at some point.
Dave

1990 Honda CRX D16A6 SOHC 1.6 engine.
This vehicle does not appear to be an Si, but I could be wrong. I believe the Si would have a "7" where you have a "6"..

Try this one as well: http://www.autocheck.com/consumers/gatewayAction.do?siteIDD4
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
What's the difference with the Si? could you just get the "Si" badge on ebay or something and just stick it on?
dan
Tegger wrote:

dan wrote:

no, as the op said, it's got rear disks and it's 4pfi. the only thing that's not "si" is the lump under the hood - all systems are present and correct by the sound of it.

says...

Not according to the Wikipedia link I posted, but I also checked this site:
http://www.answers.com/topic/honda-automotive-vin-codes
and they say the same thing as the Wikipedia entry:
JHM = Japan/Honda/Passenger car
ED9 =     CRX, 1.6L
3 = 3 door
6 = multiple entries, including both the CRX HF and Si. The DX would have a 5 here. 7 = various models of Civic, Accord, and Prelude, but no CRXes.
Another data point: per the owner's manual, there's supposed to be a identification plate next to the radiator (right above the driver's side headlight) containing the engine number. This plate is missing on my car.
Dave

So I guess it is an Si then.
But in any case you're supposed to have a D16A6 in there. At least according to my CRX factory shop manual.

Hmm. I'm looking at your Owner's Manual right now. It does not show a sticker in that location. The shop manual does though, but that sticker should only show the VIN, not the engine number. The engine number is only on the block.
Some markets (Japan for instance) required automakers to record the engine number on a plate within the engine compartment (usually above left front wheel). I don't think this was ever done for our market.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
says...

That's weird - I assume you're looking at the online version. I have an hardcopy manual here which I just got, and page 97 in it is identical to the online version, except the diagram shows an additional arrow for "Engine Number" pointing at the location I mentioned above, and the text reads "The Engine Number is stamped on the engine block at the right front side and on the identification plate on the radiator support bulkhead." It's a 1990 manual, and it has American Honda's address on the back cover, but it was printed in Japan.
Dave

I am. From American Honda itself. https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.asp

According to Honda, the online version is the final one, embodying all the additions, supplements and corrections issued since the paper one was printed.
It's entirely possible the diagram in your printed manual is in error. Like I said before, some markets did require the engine number to be on a plate separate from the engine, and it's possible the wrong diagram was used in the print version you've got.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Welcome to the new Improved Google Groups, where one of the improvements is replying to postings only to the first group listed unless you manually add the others. And to think that they're too humble to even try to publicize this improvement.

You mean Google, the company that's chock-a-block with really, really smart PhD's? They did this?
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Ah, remember that education and intelligence are distinct concepts! (It is really mean to ask a college recruiter, "How much will my IQ increase if I graduate from your institution?") Or maybe it's the same as the way donuts make me smarter: after I've eaten a couple I know I shouldn't have, and that's obviously *way* more than I knew to start with. <8^P
Mike
snipped-for-privacy@compassnet.com says...

Thanks to Dan for running a Carfax report on my VIN - contrary to what I mentioned in my email to him, I read it a bit too quickly at first; I thought the second entry was when I'd purchased the car, but it's really the fourth one:
10/25/1990      125      Texas Motor Vehicle Dept. Houston, TX Title #28972690     Title or registration issued First owner reported Loan or lien reported
06/08/1993          Texas Motor Vehicle Dept. Houston, TX Title #39182726     Title or registration issued Loan or lien reported
08/19/1993     29,498     Service Plan Co. Houston, TX     Service Contract Issued
10/06/1993          Texas Motor Vehicle Dept. Houston, TX Title #40482739     Title or registration issued Loan or lien reported
The fourth entry is when I purchased the car. So it certainly seems like something fishy could've happened during the time period between the second and third entries. Also interesting is that the Carfax record refers to the car as a "1990 Honda Civic 1500 CRX Si", despite listing the engine description as "1.6L L4 FI".
Dave

Hey Dan, don't remove crossposting that has been correctly done. You've left an orphan thread in the other group.