New Honda Civic

Hi,
I am planning to buy a new car most probably a Honda Civic. I don't have too much knowledge about cars, so it would be great if you guys could give some pointers to what to look out for and anything
useful from your experiences in terms of dealing with the car dealers etc. I am located in Bay area, California.
Thanks, vivekian

From your post, I'd suggest letting your mother take you and handle it for you. After that, speak to her about toilet training and the facts of life.....
On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 08:02:15 -0700 (PDT), vivekian wrote:

Don't go alone, otherwise you will be sold every extended warranty and VIN number security etching they have to sell.
--
My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com
Rocinante wrote:

And, before you buy, get down on your hands and knees and check the gasoline tank. Some still aren't right.
http://online.ceb.com/calcases/CA3/119CA3d757.htm
It's easy and would be very stupid to not do so.

tanks? I'm missing the implication....
Enrico Fermi wrote:

made clear in the case.
vivekian wrote:

Arm yourself with knowledge by reading http://www.Edmunds.com and http://www.CarBuyingTips.com .
I'm not in the market for a new car, but if I was, I would try negotiating prices online versus in-person. I wanted to do that back in 1998, but there weren't a lot of participating dealers. Autobytel was limited back then.

Know exactly what you want in the car. Also the prices for each item you want. Get just that and nothing else that the dealer "recommends" - typically recommendations are LoJack, Warranty extensions, paint protection, fabric protection etc. None of that is needed, it just serves to add up the total profits for the dealer.
Try and negotiate an 'out the door' price - unfortunately due to high demand you are out of luck getting below MSRP, but it does not hurt to try. Also, arrange financing before you walk in. If you belong to Costco or some of the other clud they often offer a fixed markup over invoice and that could work in your favor.

Yes, i visited a couple of dealers this week. It seems that they are not willing to negotiate much on the Honda Civic and won't go below the MSRP. So I believe what i should be paying for is MSRP + Tax + License Fees. It also seem that they have some sort of destination fees. Is that negotiable ? Also what is a good finance APR, and what factors influence it ? I do have a good credit rating.
Thanks a bunch, vivekian

Yes, i visited a couple of dealers this week. It seems that they are not willing to negotiate much on the Honda Civic and won't go below the MSRP. So I believe what i should be paying for is MSRP + Tax + License Fees. It also seem that they have some sort of destination fees. Is that negotiable ? Also what is a good finance APR, and what factors influence it ? I do have a good credit rating.
Thanks a bunch, vivekian
Have you tried getting quotes by going to the dealership website and emailing them? As for APR - if you belong to a credit union, go there first and get a pre-approved loan. If you haven't pulled your FICO score recently, it'll help if you check. Shop for a loan - after getting pre-approved for a loan that gives you power when negotiating with the dealership.
-David
4ax.com:

Use the above links and do all your negotiating via email. I helped my daughter with a new civic EX in June and she got it for $1000.00 under MSRP. With the economy the way it is, they will deal. Everything was done by email including the color. Good Luck, and email numerous dealers.
I recommend finding a Honda dealer you trust (is there such a thing?) near home or work. Because you are going to be visiting them a couple times a year for periodic maintenance and the rare cases of repairs. It doesnt have to be the same you buy the car from.