OT: What the heck do they teach in college??

Page 6 of 7
wrote:

Thank you and totally agree with you. Notice how I said "learning to be interested in..."? As with anything, someone has to learn to become interested. Interest is cultivated and stimulated. History is the lie most agree upon, but there's nothing wrong with cultivating an interest in History. PoliSci is just an extention of that.

Well, I assumed that the math and English classes are to be taken care of in grade and high school. I know they are not, hence my original reply. There's nothing wrong exposing kids to new things as long as they learn the three Rs first. That must be my liberal agenda talking. :)
In this connected world, it is actually hard to 'wow' kids. Many scientists, engineers, researchers, etc were stimilated in some way or fashion by 'soft' or extra classes. Where are we getting our next generation from?

How many people don't know how to change oil? Keep an eye on fluids? It is not a bad idea to teach how to do that, IMO.
Regardless, my statement was just regarding a class that enables one to use a different side of the brain besides math and languages. Working with your hands in combination with anything technical teaches problem solving skills - we need people with common sense (there's an oximoronic statement if I ever heard one, huh :)

Again, see above. C++ or Java, I think. Programming is good because it enforces trouble shooting skills but 3D design is cool too :) It does not need to be programming, per se.
I went into science/technology because of being stimilated by loosely formed school radio club..
Think "problem solving" all the while exposing these kids to something new and keeping them interested. Nothing wrong with that.

premise that programming is very language specific. I've only used a few languages (the old DOS QuickBasic, Visual Basic, Visual C#, and Intel assembly... I *hate* C and C++) but it's clear the focus of modern high level languages is structure. Even the pre-.NET VB has strong structure while being a snap to learn.
If you think about it, everything we plan is a program. Understanding how to structure and modularize plans (including "exception handling" - dealing with potential snags) is the key to carrying off any big project. Outlining provides the same sort of benefit for small projects but doesn't have the potential for minimizing interactions or handling vagaries of fate that structured logic does.
I was in a class of about 20 at work, learning about setting up a monitoring system for our trunking radios. The CPU card had to be programmed in ladder logic, and the instructor asked how many of us had programming experience. I was surprised to see every one of us did.
Mike

Awww, don't be hating C/C++, Mike - they are like comfy slippers to me :)
After thinking about it some more, you're right: C# is best especially for kids because it takes little effort to see major results. Java is good that way too, but clearly C# is the way to go nowadays, with the now prevalent .NET architecture.
I've been teaching my 15 year old son C++, but - after thinking about it now - maybe we should switch... Thanks for the thought.

Yup, I think so too. There's no better teacher than getting utterly frustrated at a problem, requiring some hair pulling. Besides teaching good logic thinking skills, it also teaches tenacity.

into a simple baseband monitor. We had a nice SBC that had everything we needed in a compact and cheap package... but it booted to a version of BASIC that was limited to 8 bits and had no floating point math. Not ideal for the task: convert a digitized input to the nearest dB over a 10 dB (a bit more than a 3:1) range. The formula is <20 log (input)>. Huh. A couple days later it hit me and the algorithm fit into fewer than a dozen lines of code. The trick was to choose a seed, initialize a loop counter to 10 (decrementing to 0), and subtract the integer divide by ten from the seed (effectively multiplying the seed by 0.9) with each pass. When the input value exceeded the result, the counter was the dB value. One mid-loop correction brought it within spec. I love it! It should be taught in college! ;-)
I suppose it could have been done with a lookup table, but what's the fun in that?
Mike

If reading is a part of the problem, tell the parents to take a look at:
http://www.readingtlc.com
"flobert" wrote

Where did you get your education? I'm curious, because when speaking of oneself, you capilize the letter "I".
Homecoming, is not spelled homecomming.
Organizations, is not spelled organisations.
Competence, is not spelled competance.
Happy, is not spelled hapy.
On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 14:58:50 GMT, "AllEmailDeletedImmediately"

i learned it in illinois.
On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 21:15:55 +0000, AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:

"Spelt" is so rightpondian.

Not according to Webster. Neither are listed, even as alternatives.

When? Recently? That would figure.
--
Keith

40 yrs ago. paxton, il. mrs beers. i've had others tell me that they learned to spell them that way, too.
AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:

...which indicates that education in the USA has been heading to Hell in a handbasket for a lot longer than we had hitherto suspected.
--
Cheers, Bev

was told that dropping the "e" was the new way of spelling it and that it wasn't an acceptable spelling in her class.
On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 21:08:29 +0000, AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:

Since they 'oe' spelling isn't even listed as archaic, I doubt your "teacher's" story.
--
Keith

(off to the Webster's Unabridged Dictionary, 1976)
wrote:

I'd hypothesize an attempt to lend credibility to Dan Quayle, but a Google seems to show it *is* a pretty common error, and Dan's screwup too new. Musta just been a moron teacher. I've had a couple, and know some now. Sadly. Kids (and their parents) need to challenge stupid/ignorant/misinformed teachers. But they need to do so in a private, non-confrontational manner. Unless there's no other way.

and wasn't he from il or in?

I think he's a Wickenburg AZ cowboy. That was his home the last I heard - has a ranch out there. Kinda makes me proud, partner! ;-)
Mike

but where was he raised?
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 18:43:39 +0000, AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:

IN
--
Keith

maybe it's some sort of regional thing.
On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 04:21:04 +0000, Doug McCrary wrote:

DanQ was suckered into it by a que-card.

It doesn't work. Teachers "know" it all. I had that problem when I was a kid and my son did too. Idiot teachers are teaching *way* beyond their skills. ...pretty bad when those skills are supposed to include spelling (me? no, I'm not a teacher, but was tought to speel by 'em).
--
Keith