Re: R.I.P. General Motors (1931-2006)

Page 8 of 8

Beats me, you would have to ask Toyota if the would like to sell 160,000 more vehicles to 'catch up' to Chrysler. ;)
mike hunt

No need to do that, simply use the figures reported by the Commerce Department of the total sales in 2005. ;)
No mater how some like to spin it, no Japanese company outsold any domestic company.
mike hunt

Mike, I doubt if you have ever taken a course in college statistics. Even if you are 100% right, it means nothing in relation to what is referred to as the bottom line e.g. (profit vs loss). GM (according to the news media) may go bankrupt in the near future. Honda and Toyata are not having any problems related to the bottom line. Their profits are in the black. GM's profits are in the red. Also--what's the total number of models made by GM? What's the total number of models made by Honda?
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
Top-posting moron Mike Hunter wrote:

No matter how you spin it, you're a bald-faced liar, "Mike".

Gee, and I previously posted:

a difference of about 44,500 vehicles. Isn't it funny how we are so close on our figures and Mike Hunt is so far off.
Mike wrote:

Uh Mike. . .Toyota and Honda are clearly a distant fourth and fifth to GM. You printed the numbers yourself. GM had 26.8% , while Toyota and Honda had 13.7% and 8.9% respectively. I'd certainly call that a distant fourth and fifth! Neither English nor Math must be your forte' or you'd know that Toyota and Honda should be compared to the leader, not the 3rd place manufacturer.

I think you had some problems with your math.
GM = 26.8 %
Ford = 17.9 %
Chrysler= 14 %
Toyota = 13.7 %
Honda = 8.9 %
You stated above " Toyota and Honda a distant fourth and fifth. " Honda may be a distant fifth but Toyota is almost even with Chrysler, unless you consider 3 tenths of one percent * distant*.

Mike wrote:

Gee Mike, you really are thick, aren't you? I thought you were merely feigning naievety. Here in North America, everyone strives to be 1st in everything we do. Whether it be hockey, baseball, soccer, basketball, auto racing and yes, even auto sales. If we happen not to place first, we then compare our position to the 1st place team. Not the 3rd! But hey, maybe you use different parameters when you consistently place 4th or 5th. Maybe then you find solace in comparing yourself to 3rd place!
To put it another way that you might understand Mike, "GM is first and everyone else is a distant 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc....... ". *guffaw* *chuckle* *snort*

I see english isn't you're native language, sorry about that.

I can see why you are confused. You are confusing brands and corporations. Toyota is ONE brand but Toyota Motor (Sales) Company includes Toyota, Scion and Lexus in the US. Ford is ONE brand but Ford Motor Company includes Ford, Lincoln and Mercury. GMC is one brand (of truck.) GM includes Chevrolet, Pontiac, Buick, Cadillac, Saturn, GMC and Hummer. GM and FMC also sell some of their import brands in the US but are not included in sales totals. If their import brands were included GM and Fords total sales would be even higher. In the US GM and Ford Motor Company sell more trucks alone than Toyota Motor (Sales) Company sells cars, trucks and SUVs combined.
mike hunt

On Sun, 2 Apr 2006 09:31:36 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

You said, "Actually GM sells more cars than Toyota and Honda sell Camrys and Accords. It just that they have different brand names on the hood." That is an ambiguous statement but, for the record, Honda and Toyota combined do sell more cars than GM.
2005 sales stats from:
http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060104/auto_sales_table.html?.v=2
General Motors Car: 1,713,578 vs. 1,847,040, down 7 percent Truck: 2,702,464 vs. 2,770,260, down 2 percent Vehicle: 4,416,042 vs. 4,617,300, down 4 percent
Ford Car: 934,832 vs. 888,633, up 6 percent Truck: 2,018,365 vs. 2,210,086, down 8 percent Vehicle: 2,953,197 vs. 3,098,719, down 4 percent
DaimlerChrysler Car: 526,823 vs. 474,119, up 11 percent Truck: 1,778,010 vs. 1,731,905, up 3 percent Vehicle: 2,304,833 vs. 2,206,024, up 5 percent
Toyota Car: 1,289,356 vs. 1,101,221, up 17 percent Truck: 970,940 vs. 958,828, up 2 percent Vehicle: 2,260,296 vs. 2,060,049, up 10 percent
Honda Car: 837,822 vs. 843,289, down 0 percent Truck: 624,650 vs. 551,109, up 14 percent Vehicle: 1,462,472 vs. 1,394,398, up 5 percent
Nissan Car: 572,465 vs. 536,757, up 7 percent Truck: 504,205 vs. 449,232, up 13 percent Vehicle: 1,076,670 vs. 985,989, up 10 percent
Low quality low-priced cars.
I used to own a Cavalier.
Might be a good commuter car for the wife, but in the long run it proved to be a piece of junk.
Same can be said of my '95 'Tour
my '86 Renault 5 was more reliable :)
--

(\_ _/)
The Vibe and the Matrix ARE the same car with different trim as well. As a percentage of the original drive home price, the Vibe will most likely have the best return, since the Matrix costs an average of $1,500 to $2,000 more to drive home when equipped the same.

We

However the smarter ones are buying the Vibe because they know the Matrix costs an average of $1,500 to $2,000 more to drive home when equipped the same and the value of a used Matrix in five years will not be $1,500 to $2,000 greater.
mike hunt

Absolutely correct. Unless minor styling differences made the vibe 'ugly' for a buyer, one who was educated would buy the Pontiac over the Toyota.
however, Mike, do you also see how this is the problem (or at least 1 part of the problem) GM has? 2 cars, built on the same line with the same quality. GM charges (say) $2k less than Toyota. now, Toyota's responsibility is to maximize shareholder value. So is GM's. the problem is that GM's reputation from the past 20-30 years has eroded it's name-brand. Therefore, they CAN NOT charge the same as toyota, because of people's opinions of them (poor quality, whatever). So, GM might make a couple-hundred off each vibe, but for the same per- unit cost Toyota is making an extra $1.5k! Money Toyota can pump back into engines, structures, and research. It's a shame, but it's a fact of GM's life. Higher union costs, higher legacy costs, and a lower opinion in the marketplace leads to slimmer profit-margins. or, 10+ billion in losses.
JP