Re: Toyota says no evidence 'runaway' Prius happened

Page 1 of 8

see, you're representative of the public at large. You can't possibly imagine that a Prius could behave like every other car in the world--even though you've never owned or driven one.
The driver can indeed yank the shifter into neutral and/or turn the car off. Yanking into neutral is as easy as it is in a Buick--touch shift lever, move to neutral.
And you know what happens? Yeah. No drama. Drive system disengages, gas engine stops running, car immediately starts slowing down.

If you're using the power button, they've programmed it with a 3 second delay. You'd know that if (a) you owned one, and (b) you bothered to read the owner's manual of your shiny new $25,000 toy. Of course, arrogant asses who claim they know everything about driving never bother even to open or keep track of their owner's manual, let alone read it, so they wouldn't know how their specific car operates. Even when they get in and see that there's no key like in their '67 Buick, they never bother to investigate how that power button works.

Correct. So? It *does* have a shifter, it *does* have a neutral position--why do you think moving the shifter to neutral "might not be that simple"????

Just like your '67 Buick does, yes. It's called "shift the sonunvabitch to neutral and coast to a stop".

Dude, SHIFTING TO NEUTRAL IS NOT A "TOYOTA INNOVATION". What the fuck is so hard to understand about this simple and oh-so-basic function?
For Sikes to have claimed that "I thought the car would flip if I shifted to neutral" is enough for me to demand that he be taken off the road for the rest of his life.
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 07:47:56 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"

And that is the bottom line. I would worry that the engine might destroy itself if I shifted a runaway car into neutral, but given that the other option is to smash into someone else at 90+ mph, I take that risk.

AFAIK, all fuel injected Toyotas have a rev limiter which cuts fuel when the engine reaches just above redline on the tachometer.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)
Ray O wrote:

My parent's Camry has another rev limited, it's called my parents.
I don't think that they have ever hit the redline in anything..........

So, a "tuneup" means let someone under 60 drive it for an hour? :-)
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

You nailed it........Also, make that rev limiter, but everyone probably knew that already. :-)

car you paid for not your parents. There is a lot to be said for growing up and being responsible
tc wrote:

I'm pretty old, just one ticket in the last 15 years, never a serious accident, always insured, etc. Not too irresponsible as it applies to cars.
I also have a car that has a fully adjustable redline. The engine was built to handle 8,000 rpm shifts without damage, and those shifts are not necessarily on a public road.
Never have texted while driving though. I don't really text at all with my phone.

I did text once. I was at a conference with multiple simultaneous tracks and thought that my boss should see the session I was in. So I texted her rather than be distracting to the people around me. A few minutes later she showed up.
My fourteen year old god-daughter, on the other hand, hit 15,000 in one month. Now, that's incoming and outgoing but still, that's a lot of messages. I really need to see a transcript but I won't live long enough to read through 15,000 messages.

I resemble that remark!

So, when they arrive at their destination, they leave their Prius running?

Since the car doe NOT run when stopped (most of the time) yes it has been known to happen...again maybe if you had ever driven one.

wrote in message

Won't the car shut off when you open the door?
Obveeus wrote:

No. I have one. It WILL shift into neutral at any speed. It WILL turn off by pressing the power button without shifting to park. It WILL operate at or below the speed limit and can be operated without having a wreck so I don't have to make up stories about it "running away on its own".
When stopped, at a red light for instance, the gasoline engine will shut down when the battery is above a pre-set level. When the battery level drops the gasoline engine will start automatically, run at idle speed, and recharge the battery. If the light is a long one and the battery draw is high this cycle may repeat.
IMHO almost all runaway cars are caused by a defect in the central processor of the driver. The driver steps on the gas instead of the brake, panics, and presses the gas pedal even harder thinking they are pressing the brake pedal. Then again, I live in Florida, seems like we have a lot of runaway cars of all makes and models. Interestingly high percentage of Cadillacs and Lincolns with VERY senior citizens. Remember now, this is all just MHO.

I've never driven a Prius. Under what exact conditions does the thing actually run under battery power alone?
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

It has a system by which it monitors the battery charge level. It will run on the battery only at idle and up to about 25 mph with 'normal' acceleration. When the battery charge is reduced to a pre-set level the gas engine starts up automatically to charge it, or if you do a jack rabbit start from a stop it will start also. The thing apparently doesn't have a traditional starter. The gas motor just starts running when needed almost like an old fashioned jump start from a push and popping the clutch.
It's kinda wild. Ours is an '07 and is exempt, so far anyway, from the problems making the rounds. It still causes me to look when it shuts the gas motor down while, for instance, at a red light. It just goes against all my experience for the motor to suddenly stop. With a strictly gas motor this is a pretty not good thing.
All systems will function normally while on battery only. The thing has a display that shows the status of the system, battery level, gas engine running and charging the battery, gas engine running and delivering drive power, power recovery from the brakes to the battery. It can be distracting because it's fun to watch.

Or when you rip along at 90mph while rapidly alternating between gas pedal and brake pedal, which is what this Sikes fellow did.
--
Tegger

I wonder if that can be proven with enough confidence to sue the guy criminally. It would be no point to do that in civil court as he is a deadbeat.

Well, what happened with that guy who claimed his kid floated away in a hot air balloon last year? Last headline I saw said something like "Authorities say charges pending." This Prius guy did something not very dissimilar.

That guy got convicted for misleading authorities.