Re: Toyota says no evidence 'runaway' Prius happened

My parent's Camry has another rev limited, it's called my parents.

I don't think that they have ever hit the redline in anything..........

Reply to
pws

So, a "tuneup" means let someone under 60 drive it for an hour? :-)

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

You nailed it........Also, make that rev limiter, but everyone probably knew that already. :-)

Reply to
pws

Nasty wrote in news:4b9fdab2$0$4871$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.newshosting.com:

So,on a level surface,if you have your foot OFF the "gas pedal" and brake, and "in gear",the Prius will creep forward? Why?

No "gas pedal" input should mean "no go". after all,it's electric drive. If you're not moving,there should be no juice going to the electric motor.

the "creep" in gas-powered cars is because the torque converter still transmits power to the tranny and wheels when the car is idling.

electric cars don't need to "idle".

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Only if you give it legs.

Reply to
dr_jeff

the red line is there for a purpose, and if you do hit it I hope its with a car you paid for not your parents. There is a lot to be said for growing up and being responsible

Reply to
tc

The creep is built into hybrid vehicles and in electric cars (I believe that the Chevy Volt also has a creep built in) so that drivers who are accustomed to automatic transmission creep do not have to become accustomed to something else. The "creep" feature also makes it easier to maneuver at low speeds in night places like parking spaces and garages.

Reply to
Ray O

Do you have some insane notion that electric motors idle?

Reply to
AZ Nomad

I'm pretty old, just one ticket in the last 15 years, never a serious accident, always insured, etc. Not too irresponsible as it applies to cars.

I also have a car that has a fully adjustable redline. The engine was built to handle 8,000 rpm shifts without damage, and those shifts are not necessarily on a public road.

Never have texted while driving though. I don't really text at all with my phone.

Reply to
pws

Nasty wrote in news:4b9fd8b3$0$4884 $ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.newshosting.com:

Or when you rip along at 90mph while rapidly alternating between gas pedal and brake pedal, which is what this Sikes fellow did.

Reply to
Tegger

I resemble that remark!

Reply to
Cameo

I wonder if that can be proven with enough confidence to sue the guy criminally. It would be no point to do that in civil court as he is a deadbeat.

Reply to
Cameo

Well, what happened with that guy who claimed his kid floated away in a hot air balloon last year? Last headline I saw said something like "Authorities say charges pending." This Prius guy did something not very dissimilar.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

First, we don't know if he did anything wrong. Innocent until proven guilty.

Second, if he is guilty, there could charges of speeding, lying to police and wreckless endangerment.

Reply to
dr_jeff

"Cameo" wrote in news:hnp5sd$sui$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal- september.org:

Really want to find out? Then don't lose interest in this issue. An update will likely eventually be published in the papers, but you'll need to dig down to the bottom of page A27 to find it. The TV morons will have lost interest ages ago and won't bother to update it.

Reply to
Tegger

perhaps some jail if he has done shit like this before as the wendy's finger-fraud lady did.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

If you wanna have some fun at Chili's, get a jalapeno and hold it between your thumb and index finger, walk up to the register, hold it up and holler, "Hey! There's a pepper in my fingers!"

Ed Maier

Reply to
Ed Maier

I screwed that up. Should be, "Hey! There's a chili in my fingers!" Duh

Ed Maier

Reply to
Ed Maier

hey, committee that is "ed", this one got away without spell check. don't interns get supervised around your office?

Reply to
jim beam

The owners in the various groups have been asking this very question since the first cars were delivered. The only answer is that it tries to emulate a regular automatic tranny. They have even asked mother Toyota to provide a means to turn off the creep such as a button, MFD menu, or even an option set by the THHS or TechStream scanners at the dealer.

Reply to
Daniel who wants to know