Spoiler LED Wire type

Page 1 of 2
What type of wire do you suggest using for wiring up the LED light on the spoiler? I need to solder a new wire on since the "OEM" LED wire was so thin that it would melt. Can I use copper speaker wire?

Guest wrote:

how do you know it would melt? how much current is it conducting?
jim beam wrote:

Uh, it COULD be due to the fact that he reverse connections earlier this month and blew a fuse. Then, after reconnecting it properly (he says), he had still more problems.
Frankly, while I believe everyone should learn how to do this simple stuff, I'm glad he's "learning" on his own vehicle and not someone else's. I hope that's the case anyway.
Search back on his posts. The best recommendation for him MIGHT be to find somebody who knows what they're doing and have them do it for him/her.

http://www.linkreferral.com/cgi-bin/linkreferal/adwel.cgi?oldrefid=20013

http://www.linkreferral.com/cgi-bin/linkreferal/adwel.cgi?oldrefid=20013

Let's start with the wire size. Locate the fuse the circuit is getting power from. If the fuse is 5A or less, you can use 22 guage wire or larger. At 10A use 18 guage wire or larger; for a 20A fuse use 16 guage wire. The fuse exists to protect the wire, and if the wire is melting you already have a problem.
The LED bar itself should be drawing well under 5 amps. The overheating wire is a good indication the wiring between the melted wire and the light is bad; shorted or backward, that sort of thing.
Both situations need to be corrected before you drive safely and happily. Definitely get the wire size corrected, or you could have a car fire. No fun.
Mike

http://www.linkreferral.com/cgi-bin/linkreferal/adwel.cgi?oldrefid=20013
Guest wrote:

dude, it's not the freakin' wire, it's the freakin' unit. led's draw /very/ little current. skinny wire works just fine /if/ the led's are fine. go fix the unit and suddenly all your wiring problems will disappear.

Why does this "Guest" guy preface his posts with the "-- " signature code?
Doesn't he realize what this does when you reply using many common newsreaders?
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

i don't think it's him, i think it's his "sponsor". if he even knows or cares.

http://www.linkreferral.com/cgi-bin/linkreferal/adwel.cgi?oldrefid=20013
Guest wrote:

http://www.linkreferral.com/cgi-bin/linkreferal/adwel.cgi?oldrefid 013 "jim

unless there's a simple "gotcha" like a shorted connection, yes.

My guess is that the wire itself is shorted to ground, most likely where it can be pinched or goes through a small hole. I'm not familiar with the latest in LEDs, but for the most part the active device needs resistance in series to limit current. That would probably prevent the LED from appearing as a short on the supply.
Mike

Back up one step. The fuse has to be changed back to what it was originally because there was already wiring on the circuit. The fuse has to protect that wire also. For example, if the original fuse was a 10A the existing wiring would be sized for 10 amps... but with the overrated fuse in there it could be subjected to twice that much current in the event of a fault. Twice the current also means twice the voltage drop across the wire, so the wire will get four times as hot before the fuse blows. Don't shrug this off; notice the recent thread about the 2002 Civic destroyed by an electrical fire.
Ordinary stranded, PVC jacketed wire is fine. Radio Shack probably carries it as will many car parts stores. The guage should be at least as heavy as the original fuse size dictates (from my earlier post).
As the others say, there is still something wrong with the LED if it blows the original size fuse. They don't draw much current.
Mike

http://www.linkreferral.com/cgi-bin/linkreferal/adwel.cgi?oldrefid=20013

Before giving up, inspect every place the wire goes through tight spots, either in metal or with the ground wire along with it. Pinched wires are common sources of shorts.
Mike

http://www.linkreferral.com/cgi-bin/linkreferal/adwel.cgi?oldrefid=20013

If the wire is soft, the ties really could be too tight. Carefully cut them and check it out again. The grommet should be okay.
Mike
On Fri, 12 Jan 2007 17:30:50 +0000, Guest wrote:

Your response is all the reason to believe that you should not be doing this work yourself...
> Guest wrote:

ok, if the wire melted, there's something wrong with the light unit. total current should be under 1 amp. well under. don't try re-wiring it until you sort it out - probably replace it. as pointed out by mike, failure to fix could lead to a car fire.
volts are different to amps.