Starter Question

I recently installed a new starter in my 1990 Honda Civic. Now when I turn the key to crank the engine, unless I am very gentle and quick with the key, there comes a grinding sound from the starter � the
same noise you get when you mistakenly turn the ignition key when your car is already running. The car starts, but that noise can't be good. Any ideas what's causing it?
sounds like a faulty solenoid. Was the start new?
OR
you didn't tighten all the bolts all the way and the started is not square with the flywheel. grindy grindy! take a look and fix it quick, the flywheel is NOT easy to replace.
sprog wrote:

Your problem sounds like misalignment... were there any shims on the old starter?
Professor www.telstar-electronics.com