starting problem

90' accord ex 4 cyl. Engine starts and immediately goes dead. This is not a constant problem but is becomming more frequent.

Google "main relay". the solder joints in the relay are fractured and the relay then doesn't energize the fuel pump,so fuel pressure isn't enough to keep the motor running after starting. the relay is usually under the dash on the driver's side. You can take the relay out,resolder the joints,and it will last another 10- 15 years. Or spend $50 or more for a new relay that can develop the same problem.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Your ignition switch is going bad, or your battery cables are loose/not making good connection.
On 11/03/2011 07:26 AM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

while main relay is definitely a possibility, its symptoms are more commonly that it won't start at all, not that it'll start then quit. for this reason, i too think he should investigate the ignition switch. [loose battery is usually a no-start, not no-run.]
the op should see if removing all the junk from their key ring and returning the key carefully to the "run" position by hand makes a difference. if so, it's /definitely/ ignition switch.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Do you mean it starts but dies as soon as you let go of the key?
If so, that's the Main Relay. <http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/startproblems.html#mainrelay
--
Tegger