steering rack problem

I have a 2002 (new to me - purchased 3 mths ago) Honda Accord which I took in to the dealer recently & found out it has a steering rack leak - not what one expects on a car with only about 65,000km. Has anyone
else experienced this kind of problem with the Accord? My confidence in the car (which has been terrific - I love driving this car) has been shaken by the news of a hefty replacement.
roadrunner wrote:

I have never heard of a steering rack failing on a Honda... unless somebody put in the wrong power steering fluid. That is one fluid that absolutely must be Honda-specific.
High Tech Misfit wrote:

I had a 1984 Accord with a power steering leak. First time Honda did the work under warranty. Second time it was out of warranty. The leak was fairly slow, so I just added fluid for the next 10 years.
Honda steering racks do fail. I own a 2001 Acura TL and the steering rack has been replaced twice. The firast one was noisy when turning the wheels in a driveway and the second one was making noise whenever I drove over a speed bump. The first one was under warranty and I only paid for labor when the second one was replaced last week at 81,500 kms. Honda accepted to pay for the steering rack because it had less than 40K kms.
18hk3hntn089m$. snipped-for-privacy@hightech.misfit...

Ghislain wrote:

Well, I have limited warranty, as I purchased car 3 mths ago at 60km so I pay for part but not labour. So I think I'll go ahead & get new part. Hopefully that's it for major part replacement for a few thou more kms. thanks.
So, you can just keep adding steering fluid? I think it's the steering fluid leak since I have to add some every now and then and my car smokes because the leak I think drops on some metals inside. I check the oil sometimes and I don't have to add anything to it so, the power steering fluid is the one that leaks.
I have change headlights and starters in the pass. There's a hose that seems to be wet when I touch the lower side. It is a short hose, don't think its complicated one to take off but I'm afraid when I take it off something will come out and drain everything out.
I forgot to mention, I have an accord lx 1988. Still running good., except for the leak and the smoke. No the car is not on H. It's still COLD.
Hondamom wrote:

Then it can't be the steering rack because that is forward of and below any hot parts. Maybe it's the power steering pump? Or hose TO the rack?
Maybe the smoke is coming from some other leak.

Good possibility.
Get a service manual. Then you will know what is what.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 19 Oct 2006 00:35:34 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

My only experience with this problem was on a 1997 Dodge Caravan, which was caused by a rotted Power Steering Pump, so this may be the case.
--
Joseph M. LaVigne
snipped-for-privacy@hits-buffalo.com
Hondamom wrote:

If it's smoking, you probably have a shot valve cover gasket that is letting oil drip on the exhaust. Mine did that when I first got it. I replaced the valve cover gasket, and cured that problem. The old ones get real hard and don't seal well. If the pump seal is leaking, you will see oil spun off the steering pump pully, and on the belts, etc. Also, it will be dripping under the pump area. If it's bad enough, it will leave fluid on the ground. If the pump pully is dry, and no signs of fluid anywhere around the pump, it's probably the rack leaking if not a hose. The PS pump leak is not in a position to leak on the exhaust. I know this cuz my pump is presently leaking.. :( I have to add a dab every few days. I'm going to change my pump when I do my timing belt, etc.. I don't like the leak. Not so much that I have to add it, but it's slinging oil on my belts. MK
hi, i have the same problem... 2002 honda accord SE with 59000 miles on it - leaking powers steering fluid from the rack...estimated 1000$ replacement charge... shame on honda!!! they should have replaced it for free!!!
roadrunner wrote:

If you really think Honda should pay for this then you should contact your regional Honda Office and ask for some consideration. The number should be in your owners manual.

Steve Beaman wrote:

My 1984 Accord had a leaky steering rack. Honda fixed it once then I was on my own when it started leaking again. In the end, I just let it leak and added some fluid every now and then. Glad to see that Honda is finally going to electric steering.