What Model Do I Have?

Page 2 of 2

"M" means "manual", as in "manual transmission".
"5M" means 5-speed manual. "4A" means 4-speed automatic.

BTW, please add a space character after the double-hyphen in your sig. I keep having to strip your sig manually when I reply.
incorrect: "--" correct: "-- "
--
Tegger

That's absolutely right. My previous car was a '92 Accord and it was designated an EX-R here but apparently there was no such model in the US.

Is the insurance company going to know better than the manufacturer?? I would have thought the manufacturer would be the final authority since they made the darned thing. The insurance company is just going to be working from data that Honda gave them, right?
-- Rhino

You never asked the manufacturer. You asked the DEALER.
The dealer is NOT "Honda", despite that big sign they hang on the outside of the building.
The dealer is an independent company that leases a franchise from Honda Canada, or whatever regional subidiary of Honda Motor Company is responsible for your country.

Yes, the info HONDA gives them, not any particular dealer.
They get stuff from Honda that you and I can only dream of, such as the car's build-sheets.
Of course, you can also phone Honda Canada directly (1-800-387-5399). They will be very happy to tell you what exact model you have.
--
Tegger

More information:
Franchise laws prohibit automakers in Canada and the US from selling cars directly to the public (i.e.: retail; end-user).
Franchise laws force automakers to sell lease-agreements to individuals or corporations. These lease-holders are the /only/ entities permitted to retail new vehicles and OEM parts. Franchisees are known as "dealers".
The legal sales sequence is as follows: - Honda Motor Manufacturing (Japan, Canada, US, etc.) assembles the car. - The vehicle is sold to to the regional sales subsidiary (Honda Canada, American Honda, Honda UK, etc.) - Sales sells the car to the various franchisees within the subsidiary's territory (Majestic Honda, Bill Kay Honda, etc.). - The franchisees sell the car to the end-user (you).
Once Sales sells the vehicle to a franchisee, Honda loses control over the car almost completely. Their only weapons against rogue dealers are denial of warranty-reimbursement funds and other privileges, and refusal to renew the franchise.
The law defines a "new" vehicle as "new" until its ownership is transferred to an end-user (retail buyer). At that point, it becomes a "used" car. Prior to that point, it can be driven 200,000 miles, be owned by a dozen dealerships, and still be considered "new". In a sense, this is not a bad thing: the new-car warranty does not begin until final sale, so buying a year-old demo with 20K miles on it means its 5-year powertrain warranty won't run out until the car is 6-years-old...
Pretty complicated, no?
--
Tegger

So: a) maybe it just fell off b) maybe the original owner had a fender-bender and had to get the trunk lid straightened out and repainted and noboby bothered to get another EX-L badge for it. Okay, that seems plausible.
I wish I'd noticed that earlier. Now I'm wondering if the car was in an accident. Mind you, my mechanics didn't see any sign of accidents when they inspected the car before I bought it. The badge probably just fell off....
So EX-LT is a real model designation and EX-L is what the badge would have said on an EX-LT if I still had my badge?
Just for the heck of it, I sent an email to one of the local dealers with the VIN and asked what model it was. He said it was just an EX, nothing about EX-L or EX-LT.
This is just plain confusing. I'm really not sure what item to choose in the drop-downs when I describe my car for the online insurance quotes. I don't know whether EX is close enough or whether I have to choose EX-L or even EX-LT. Most of the quote forms have an option on what to do if the model doesn't exactly match the drop-downs. I'll just have to follow those instructions.
I'm assuming that the model influences the premium but would the difference between an EX, EX-L and EX-LT really be signtificant?
I would hate to get a claim rejected simply because I misidentified the model slightly....
-- Rhino

It's possible your model never came with a badge (as noted by other posters).

Then /phone/ your existing insurance company instead of using the online forms. If anybody knows, they will know. They can tell from the VIN.
There are a number of free VIN decoders out there. Here are some: <http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&biw 21&bih2&q=honda+vin+decoder&aq=f&aqi=g5g-m5&aql=&oq=>
--
Tegger

Yeah, I saw that....

As noted in another reply above, I'm a little skeptical that the insurance company would know more about what model a given Honda is than Honda itself. But I will speak to them about the whole issue just to be sure I explain why I'm not 1000% sure what model I have. I expect they'll just tell me that EX alone is enough for their purposes; I just can't see the premium be dramatically different just because of leather seats or seat warmers or whatever. The engine and transmission might be relevant but I just can't see lesser items making that much difference. But I am prepared to hear differently from the insurance company ;-)
Maybe someone has done a study that shows people with leather seats are worse drivers or something....

<http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&biw 21&bih2&q=honda+vin+decoder&aq=f&aqi=g5g-m5&aql=&oq=>
Thank you for that link! The very first one I found did a decent job of decoding my VIN, better than any of the subsequent ones I looked at. None of them indicated "EX-L" or "EX-LT" though. I suppose that is more a marketing thing within Canada than anything else. Honda Canada decides what model it is within Canada and they could call it something else in the US, Japan, or whatever.
Thanks for all your help with this!
-- Rhino

You have never spoken to anybody from Honda. See my other reply.
--
Tegger

Okay, I just traded off a 2001 Accord and my daughter had(until a drunk hit it while it was parked) a 2002.
The badge indicating LX or EX was located on the bumper cover below the right taillight. There never was any EX-L designation. My daughter's 2002 was the last year of that model and was called a 'Special Edition' or similar. That badge was also in the same place. While her Accord had the leather interior and sunroof, the only other differences that we could ever tell between her 'special' edition' and the regular EX was the trim on the dash/console area and different styled wheels.
Over the years, I've seen a number of that vintage Accord without the model badge on the bumper. Maybe you dealer repainted the bumper to make things look better (get rid of nicks, etc.) and didn't bother to replace the badge. Since he wasn't a Honda dealer, he might have figured that it really didn't matter...he sold the car anyhow.