Which one is more snow worthy?

Page 1 of 4
Hello,
I have a friend who wants to buy a 4WD or AWD Honda, and they are considering the Pilot, CRV and Crosstour. Personally I don't like the Crosstour for the way it looks and the Pilot is too big for me. So
lets say ugliness and being almost as big as a cement mixer weren't factors. Can anyone say that there would be a difference between the snow worthiness of any of them? I was told that none of them have manual 4WD like a jeep has. I guess all of them are AWD?
Thanks so much!
Jill
On 8/11/2010 10:21 PM, Jill wrote:

    As it is your friend who is considering a vehicle, your opinion of the Crosstour, nor does the fact that you are not able to handle the size of the Pilot has absolutely nothing to do with the purchase.

Hello,
I know, but I am just talking about snow worthiness and which one is better. She is driving a Subaru Forester, but her lease is almost up and thinking of giving Honda a chance.
Thanks so much,
Jill
On 8/12/2010 1:00 PM, Jill wrote:

    I would place more emphasis on your friend's skill level and experience in driving in snow and ice conditions, than snow tires or vehicle.

Well thank you all for the information. I heard Honda was the best in reliability actually, and even better than Subaru. She's not just going to the market and back. She works full time and needs to get back home during storms as I do as well. We both live in New England in the snow belt area, so we need to be able to handle driving in 6-8 inches or snow.
Jill
In article

So had I.
Go to rec.autos.makers.honda and see my thread over the past couple days on the legendary failing Honda transmissions.
On 8/13/2010 11:39 PM, Jill wrote:

    If you and your "friend" can't handle driving in a little bit of snow like the amount you mentioned, in any vehicle then you both should have your licences suspended thus making the roads in your area safer for real drivers. When you feel the need to drive in real snow and ice conditions, you're welcome to come to Atlantic Canada during our winter months (January and February).

I'll see your Atlantic Canada winter and raise you a Manitoba winter.
"Iowna Uass" ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) writes:

I'll see the Atlantic Canada winter and the Manitoba winter with Colorado Rocky Mountain black-ice, and raise with an 'Old Fashion Texas Ice Storm'. Remember... the only thing they use salt on, in those two states, is food.
Be careful now... I just might have a 'Donner Pass - Chains Required' in my back pocket!
M.A. Stewart wrote:

Nope... They've discovered "chemicals" here in TX and the only saving grace, (in the Austin area), such weather is a rarity.
Probably the worst place to be is in places like Buffalo, NY where "lake effects" snows occur almost continuously all winter.
I don't miss any snow whatsoever but love to look at it on TV...
JT
Okay first off...
I am not a troll. I do have a cousin who has a 1999 Hyundai Santa Fe 2WD, and he bought it new and still has it. He is too thrifty to buy a new car, but hates that its bad in the snow. His sister (who is also my cousin) has an AWD Subaru Forester which is about the same year as his Santa Fe. Her car is great in the snow. I'm just going by what they are telling me. They live about 3 miles from me and are in the same areas for snow.
Second if this is just marketing then can't Honda get in trouble for putting "4WD" on the back door of the CRV's?
I guess Honda Pilot's are AWD also? They are automatic systems like the CRV I am told.
As far as the roads go...good luck getting a better resolution. Our whole state is practically bankrupt. Now with the tax going up I really doubt better plowed roads is going to happen.
Jill
In article

He doesn't have proper tires on it.
He'd be amazed at what happens when he puts winter tires on it.
In article

What kind of "trouble" are you talking about? There's no law involved here. It's MARKETING.
Jesus. You need to get a grip.

Tires and drivers skill are the reasons for the differences.

If they put "4WD" on the back of a 2-wheel drive vehicle, sure. But that's not the case. Do you still not understand that AWD is a form of 4WD? If ALL wheels are being driven on a vehicle with FOUR wheels, isn't that 4WD?
"Seth" wrote

Questions:
Last winter I posted about my somewhat frightening drives in my 2004 Accord 4-cyl auto. I live in upstate NY and yes, they do take good care of the roads. The only two times I was out driving "on snow" was when the storm was just starting and the road was, to me, very slippery such that my, um, rear end was often sliding around especially when braking. So I drove very slowly to ensure my safety, especially on turns and curves. The car has three Goodyear Assurance Comfortreds and one Pirelli P6 Four Seasons. (I went through a lot of successive flats with the OEM Michelins, one dealer had only the Pirelli, blah blah....)
So, are the driving problems I had due to the slick road with the fresh thin layer of snow, my tires, my driving... ? Last year was my first year back to the Northeast since living in a snow-free climate for 30 years. When living in the Northwest I drove a 1973 rear-wheel drive Toyota Celica with regular tires through lots of snow with no issues whatsoever. What ideas have you got?
Howard

First thing I'd do is at least have MATCHING tires. That one lone tire I'll bet is a slightly different size than the others causing an imbalance. At worst your tires should at least match form left to right (both fronts the same and both rears the same). the have 3 and 1 is crazy.
Then on top of that you have you not being used to driving in snow. Somehow in the past you did fine with a less snow-worthy vehicle so the issue has to be you. Not meant as an insult, but just an observation based on the data you've provided. In a front-wheel drive vehicle with more safety systems how can it be more difficult to drive unless it is the driver who has lost some of his edge.
Hopefully this winter now that you have "snow legs" back things will be better.
On 8/17/2010 3:33 PM, Howard Lester wrote:

    I would say in the case of the 2004 Accord, the mixture of tires was one issue. The fresh fall of snow would contribute to the issue as well. Do you consider yourself (at the time) to be out of practice in driving in this type of road condition?
"Brian Smith" wrote

Yes, I'm sure I'm out of practice. I should look for a driving course to see if I can get some help. I'm a lot older than I was 30+ years ago, and less of a daredevil! Where I live there are short hills and country driving with lots of curves, some dangerous even when dry. It was on those roads that I about freaked... until I slowed to about 20 - 25 mph.
I am keeping in mind the tires. Yes, 3+1 is crazy, but it's what I've got right now. I thought of getting two snow tires on their own wheels to start with, but then Elmo's suggestion of the Nokian WR's is tempting and possibly a better all-around solution. It's too bad there's still a lot of tread on the tires I have, but maybe for a couple of years I could treat the Nokians as Oct - April tires. There's supposedly a service center around here that sells Nokians; I can ask there for advice.
Howard
On 8/17/2010 4:13 PM, Howard Lester wrote:

    It happens when one doesn't do something regularly enough, the skill level suffers.

    LOL! That's true of pretty much everyone, as we age, we realize how short life is and how precious too.

    The important thing is that you did realize your limitations and acted accordingly. The prof of that is that you're here and telling us about it, lol.

    Two snow tires aren't as good as four snow tires. The ones on the rear will keep it following the front of the vehicle (crucial in most cases to a healthy life).
"Brian Smith" wrote

Yes, and life is worthwhile. Well, there ARE those days.... *sigh*
I have read many times that four snows are better than two, but if two are used (let's use "budget constraint" for now), which wheels should they go on? I'd think the rear to, as you say, keep the rear end following the front of the vehicle. I felt like I was getting into trouble when the rear tires were slipping sideways, particularly when braking on a curve. (Re: the ABS discussion from last winter.) Then again, I'm recalling when all four went sliding....