147 mph Hyundai

I thought you Hyundai folks would want to know that a new speed record has been set on one of our freeways here in Arizona. Photo radar in Scottsdale
clocked a guy doing 147 mph , or for you metric people 235 kph. This was on our outer loop freeway but is still in town. All the cops said is that it was a rented Hyundai. I saw the news clip and it was blurry but it looked to me to be a new Sonata. The guy was late for work was reason for the speed. Scott

Scott, it was probably an Azera, not a Sonata. The Sonata V6 top speed is only 137 MPH as tested by several auto magazines. Although if memory serves, an LX was tested by each magazine. Maybe the GLS is a little lighter, but I can't imagine a 10 MPH gain.
Photo radar is currently illegal in NJ. The legislature is working to change that. Although I think a lot of people would finally slow down a little (a good thing), I tend more to think it is an invasion of privacy and just one more big brother thing we have to all worry about.
Eric

Eh, its not that impressive, how LONG did it take the car to get up to 147mph, I'd like to know...

is
147 seconds? ;)

The photo was definitely a Sonata.
But I agree. The Sonata is limited to 138mph, so the radar contraption was defective... or more likely the reporter embellished the speed by 10mph to add more shock value for the readers. :)
The stupid article also said the tires weren't rated for that speed, and car was probably shaking. Hooey! The tires are rated for 149, and the car is very smooth at 130+ mph.
Here's the link.
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?styf898
--
Bob

In 1995 a Hyundai Elantra set a record for driving up the Mount Washington Auto Road that stood until an Audi Quattro beat it in 1998.
Rodney King supposedly had his '87 Excel going in excess of 100mph shortly before he met the CA Highway Patrol.
I know from stupid, but personal experience that an '90 Excel is capable of excess of 100mph. It was a long time ago, so I don't remember the exact speed.
Raoul wrote:

zonie wrote:

No, the reason was that the guy is a blooming idiot with a IQ less than room temperature.
Matt