2006 Elantra owners

Page 1 of 3
Mygranddaughter goes off to colleg and parents considering a 2006 Elantra for commuting 40 mile rounr trip.. I would like to receive owners' assessments of this vehicle. Looks good to
me. Thank you, Seamus J. Wilson
Seamus J. Wilson wrote:

I've only had my 2006 Elantra for 2 months/5000 miles. I think it is a great car for the money. A also have a 2002 Accent that has gone 105,000 miles with no problems at all. It has all original parts except normal wear items( oil, filters, breaks, tires, wipers, bulbs, spark plugs and timing belt).
If she is going to take a bunch of stuff with her to school, she might want the hatchback.
- Mooron

I have an 03 and an 05.Both are GT's. I don't think the 06 is much different. The two I have have been very good. Totally reliable. Never Forget!!! http://www.september11victims.com/september11Victims/VictimInfo.asp?ID &54
Thank you for helpful responses. Best, Seamus J.

id look at a tuscon 4 cyl base front wheel drive cause in states you get the head and side air bags standard..

Hi,
What kind of mileage are you getting? Thanks
Bob wrote:

The Accent gets 34 mpg. I never checked the Elantra.

But the Elantra is still pretty decent. I plan on test driving one tomorrow. And maybe.......
Thanks
DO NOT BUY THIS CAR! If you read about the many problems, you'll find that Hyundai is building junk. My 2005 Elantra just had a clutch replacement at 17,000 miles, and Hyundai won't cover it. My investigtion reveals that this is a common problem, along with many others. Get her a Honda.
Captain Ron
Seamus J. Wilson wrote:

Captain Ron wrote:

What were the details about your clutch replacement? What failed? Disk? Pressure plate? Throw-out bearing? Hydraulics?
Matt
Funny...... I have 2...... ..... A Blue '04 GT hatch & a Red '05 GT hatch
Both are Auto Trans - No problems to date

Andy C wrote:

Then again, you wouldn't expect an auto trans vehicle to have a standard clutch failure. :-)
Matt
Nope, But I didn't read where he spec'ed a Manual or auto for his granddaughter
Blanket statements of "Car bad" don't tell the story of clutch abuse etc.. These are value priced cars.....not sports cars with Super heavy duty clutches.
Hard driving will eat clutches........In my 2nd VW bug w/1900cc bus engine I destroyed bunches of clutches, Drove the poor thing real hard.
It got to the point a clutch,Throw-out bearing,Bearing arm took me only 1.5 hours to change in the street...with only my girlfriend helping.

Andy C wrote:

True, but few folks that have an automatic transmission repaired are that specific about what was repaired inside the auto trans. Sure, it may have been a clutch pack in an automatic, but I'd venture to say that 99% of the time when some says they had a clutch failure, they are talking about a manual transmission vehicle.

Yes, that is why my response asked a series of questions. It may have been a failure due to a defective part, but most likely was due to poor driver technique. I've driven standard shift vehicles for 30 years and have NEVER worn out a clutch. I've had several vehicles go well over 100K miles and still on the original clutch.

That is true, but you can drive pretty hard and still no wear the clutch apppreciably. The main wear on the clutch is startin from a stop, or downshifting without blipping the throttle to match rotational speeds of the engine and input shaft of the transmission. I drove OTR trucks for several years so I got fairly good at this, but most folks don't even know they should do this.
Probably the biggest abuse I see of clutches is from people who use the clutch to hold position on a hill while waiting for the light to turn green, rather than using the brakes. That will eat a clutch in a hurry.

I had two VW Beetles and few cars made before or since are as easy to work on! I could pull an engine, overhaul it, and re-install it in one day, assuming all parts were on hand. :-)
However, I drove mine hard and still never had a clutch or t-bearing failure in the 100K+ miles I put on both of them.
Matt
we finally replaced our clutch at 160 000 kms this winter, like new now

Jody wrote:

What had failed? Clutch disk worn out? Pressure plate worn? Springs weak? I'm just curious as 100,000 miles is on the short end of what I consider to be decent clutch life. I hope my Sonata lasts much longer than that. A couple of friends have gotten over 200K on the OEM clutches in their Corollas. I have 145,000 on a 1995 Jeep Comanche and 92,000 on my Chevy pickup. I put 145,000 on a Chevette and have never yet kept a car long enough to wear out a clutch!
Matt
clutch disc was worn almost to the rivets, i say 100 000 is pretty good. car was bought used.

Jody wrote:

Our opinions differ here. 100,000 is lousy for a modern clutch. Sounds like your car was abused, either by the former owner or the latter owner. :-)
Matt
really dont care what your opinon is, 100 000 miles is pretty darn good by my books.

Jody wrote:

I guess if you don't know how to use a clutch, then 100K miles IS pretty good. If you want to learn to get 200K+ on a clutch, less us know and we can give you some tips.
Matt