2006 Sonata oil filter

Page 1 of 2
In earlier posts, people were asking where to get oil filters for their Sonatas to avoid the high prices at the dealer. I yahooed and found several
places that list multiple filters. For instance, http://replacement.autopartswarehouse.com/parts/autopartswarehouse/wizard.jsp?year 06&make=HY&model=SON-4CYL-006&category=All&part=Oil%20Filter&dplse lists three different ones. One of them is a Bosch, which is listed as OEM. The other two are listed as Hyundai specific. The Bosch one is $5.17. Shipping for three of them is only about $5.25. These should meet the requirements, shouldn't they?
Tom

http://replacement.autopartswarehouse.com/parts/autopartswarehouse/wizard.jsp?year 06&make=HY&model=SON-4CYL-006&category=All&part=Oil%20Filter&dplse

Thanks but these are for the 4 cyl. Sonata. That is a common filter.The oil filter we all need is for the 6 cyl. it takes a cartridge filter that I can only find at a dealer. Rob
Rob wrote:

Same thing here. I googled and the only source I could find was the dealer. I paid about $10.50 for the filter, O rings and drain plug gasket including tax.

I paid almost $20 for the same thing.

Tom wrote:

http://replacement.autopartswarehouse.com/parts/autopartswarehouse/wizard.jsp?year 06&make=HY&model=SON-4CYL-006&category=All&part=Oil%20Filter&dplse

My inner redneck says we need a remote oil filter assembly for these cars pronto, or an adapter... Can't beat a good ol' $2.50 Motorcraft FL1A. I'll mention this to my friend, he specializes in these sorts of things... (aluminum/brass/copper/etc casting/finishing)
Plus, who wants to get their fingers all dirty, or have *that much* opportunity to introduce something abrasive to the 'clean' side of the oil filter housing? The world abandoned cartridge style filters for a reason...
Oh well, I'm sure its some environmental boob that came up with this. If you *really* want to deal with the problem figure out a profitable way to recycle cartridge filters - this would fix the problem with new and old cars alike.
Then again, theres a reason why anybody can buy R134A and its a serious pain in the arse (or a vacation to Mexico, which leads to the arse-pain) to get R12 - and it has very little to do with the ozone layer... :|
JS
Yea, you all are correct. I was talking about the 4 cylinder. When the dealer showed me the cartridge for the 6 cylinder, all I could think of was my 1954 Chevy that had a cartridge filter!!!!! Talk about a step backwards. Those were a pain in the arse, for sure. First thing you need is a cooking baster to get the oil out of the housing, I guess. What a messy job! Now I'm glad I have a 4 cylinder. You may beat me off the line (like I care), but I'll beat you out of the Oil Change Lane. :o)
Take care,
Tom

Actually, it all drains down as soon as you open the lid. No mess at all!
Now, as soon as Advance Auto gets their act together and starts selling the Purolator L35610, we'll start paying $4.00 a filter. You can get them to order it, but there's a $10.00 per filter shipping charge.

Tom, you couldn't be more wrong!! It is much easier, and faster, than crawling under the car, perhaps needing to squeeze in a filter wrench, having a mess of oil drip down on you, then getting the new filter, squeezing a bead of oil on the gasket, crawling back under and putting the filter on.
I bet it takes me half the time, with less than half of the muscle work.
And the canister completely drains when you pull the oil drain plug. Just remove the cartridge, put in a new one with two new O-rings, and screw on the cover. Done.
Eric
Wow, that sounds great. Now I wish I had that setup!!! Maybe we did make some progress in the last 50 years! Unfortunately, my 54 Chevy got 20 miles per gallon and look how far we progressed in the area. :o( That old car weighed 3250 pounds, too. Sad Sad Sad.
Tom

Tom wrote:

If new cars were allowed to pollute like your 54 Chevy and had its same performance, then they'd get way more than 20 MPG for the same weight car.
We've progressed a long way in the last 50 years. My 4 cylinder Sonata outperforms most of the cars made in the 50s regardless of engine size and gets 31 MPG.
Matt
Tom wrote:

I'm with you, Tom. I'm very happy with the four-cylinder. We'll also save on spark plugs, plug wires, coils, etc. And I don't think the V-6 will beat me off the line. It might beat me after 30 MPH, but the 4 pulls pretty good off the line if I rev it enough! If you compare the performance numbers (I posted a link to them some time ago), the V-6 has a very minor performance advantage over the four. I'm guessing the extra weight it carries and different gearing probably account for most of it.
Matt
Yea, Matt, I'm happy with the performance side of my 4 banger. Actually, 162 horses out of a 4 is pretty darn good. No complaints so far except a sticking drivers side outside door handle that doesn't close all the way. They'll replace it at the next visit.
Tom

I have the same problem with my door handle. Guess I'll mention it on my next visit to the dealer. It didn't annoy me enough so far to think of it when I was there. But it does seem to be happening more often.
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

Did they do the trim piece "recall" on your cars? They replaced the trim pieces on my car before I had hardly driven it (I think it was two days after I picked it up). The dealer said he had no idea why they had to change them, but this piece is right behind the handle and fairs it into the body. I wonder if that is causing the failure to close and is the reason for the recall.
Matt

I was not aware of that "recall" but I will check into it. What you describe as being replaced seems like the exact spot that is causing me the problem.
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

They replaced all four of these little plastic pieces on my car. My door handles worked fine before and after, so I was scratching my head. And then the dealer admitted that they didn't know the purpose for that particular recall either. They did mine at the same time they did the seat recline lever, the cup holder insert and the headliner adhesive.
Matt

My handle works fine about 98% of the time too, so if you had the car only two days before the work was done, you may not have experienced the problem. All of the other "recalls" you mention were done on my car before I picked it up.
Eric
On mine, if it's stuck out, the car won't lock with the key fob! You think it's locked but it's not! Suprise Suprise.