Where to get 5W40 oil?

Sorry... I am guessing this has been asked 1000+ times, but I could not find an answer in the list or the archives.

I imagine I could get it from the dealer, but almost any other place is liable to be significantly cheaper. Where do you get it (the oil, I mean ;-)?

Car is a 2000 Passat V6

Thanks!

Reply to
CasualBloke

I think that 5W-40 comes in synthetic.

NAPA Wal-Mart to name 2 possible sources. I think you can order it online too.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Check the owner's manual. Find out if it requires synthetic, I would guess it does. Also check the other specifications for the oil. There should be a "S" number listed in the manual (unless you have a diesel and then it will be a "C" number. Make sure this is also on the can when you buy.

Lots of places have the oil.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I am using Valvoline full synthetic (SynPower) 5W40 in my '00 V6. Local source is Kragen but have seen it in other (Napa, Autozone, etc) stores (N. CA)

Reply to
jmpresley

Thanks for the suggestions. Will give them a try.

-Brian

Reply to
CasualBloke

I use a full synthetic called Amsoil. oil is good for 25k or one year. Jake

Reply to
yourpartsmart

Don't forget to change your filter at ~12.5k

Reply to
Johann Koenig