Bike Rack For Accent HB & Powertrain Warranty

I was rather stunned to discover that the only bicycle racks that fit my 09 Accent HB are roof racks where the bicycle stands vertical and ones that fit into a trailer hitch. So far it's about even at $200
either way. Unless I find a roof rack that is significantly cheaper, I'll go with the trailer hitch since it is much easier to load/unload. What racks do people here use, if they have one?
My concern is that if I ever have a powertrain problem, the dealer will void the warranty since it will look like I'm towing a trailer. How do I prove a negative?

If you have an issue, put your bike rack onto the hitch before you head for the dealer.
Jon
|I was rather stunned to discover that the only bicycle racks that fit | my 09 Accent HB are roof racks where the bicycle stands vertical and | ones that fit into a trailer hitch. So far it's about even at $200 | either way. Unless I find a roof rack that is significantly cheaper, | I'll go with the trailer hitch since it is much easier to load/unload. | What racks do people here use, if they have one? | | My concern is that if I ever have a powertrain problem, the dealer | will void the warranty since it will look like I'm towing a trailer. | How do I prove a negative?
I have had one of these for over ten years and really like it for my bike - easy to get on and off the car in only 30 seconds. Bike goes on and off in less than a minute. No marring of your cars sheet metal either. http://www.bdiracks.com/bdiplate.html

You don't need to prove negative. Your explanation should suffice.
Actually, you'll find that the attachment won't be sturdy enough to tow anything of significant weight. Anyone with half a brain will figure out you haven't been towing any significant weight.
On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 20:30:58 -0800 (PST), hyundaitech

Thanks.

Find a bike shop that stocks Rhode Racks. Now owned by Yakima. The trunk/rear door type rack will fit about anything.

According to their web site, they only have a roof rack for the Accent HB. This is the case with Thule also. The problem is the rear spoiler (wind deflector) at the top of the hatchback. It's plastic and more decorative than structural. I'm thinking of ways to reinforce the spoiler against the downward pull of the straps. The Thule 910 I'm thinking of has a set of lateral straps, so the upper ones that will pass over the spoiler will not need to be very tight. I've got 4 months of winter to come up with a plan.
It is something that Hyundai needs to address.
Raoul wrote:

What do they have to address? The fact that a third party does not make a roof rack? Probably not enough interest for them to care.

Probably you are wrong. A significant audience is for young folks who will also be coping with outdoor equipment.
As an old fart I check Yakima before I get serious about a vehicle. No racks no interest.

I take it you cannot get to the top of the door under the spoiler?
It might be a good time to think about filing some notches if the spoiler comes off. That would save you a bundle.
I have not really looked at one so this is a WAG but I would look at maybe removing the spoiler and filing two notches where the upper straps go. If I could do that and hook over the hatch top that would let me put the spoiler back and either leave the rack on the car for the summer or thread the upper straps through the slots and then back intp the rack. There are several back racks that use the same general straps to a bracket idea.
Let us know how it works out.