Rear Bike Rack for Forester ?

I have a 2002 Forester-S.

Wife and I just took up bike riding and woudl like to get a rear bike rack. What brands, features ect. do you suggest that fit our model ?

Just need a small one for 2 bikes only, cheap ia good.

Thanks !

Reply to
Mike Snyir

I have a 2003 Forester XS Prem. I got a hitch mounted Draw-Tite 3-bike tilting model from

It holds 3 bikes (up to 5 with an adapter) and tilts away from the rear hatch so you can open it without removing the bikes. It was $120.

I also bought a Draw-Tite 1-1/4" trailer hitch from etrailer.com, which I installed myself. In addition to holding the bike rack, it can also be used for towing/carrying other things. Part number 36311, cost $90. This model would also fit your 2002 Forester. Installation was about an hour if you have the right socket set and extenders (no drilling/welding required!) I found etrailer's prices to be very reasonable, and I got my order within a week.

Thule and Yakima make bike racks that strap on to the hatch, they would be lighter but more cumbersome to attach/detach, and you can't open the hatch without taking the bikes off. Those are about $100. If you only want a bike rack, this is the way to go. If you want something more versatile, go with a trailer hitch. U-Haul, etc. sell hitches if you don't want to install it yourself.

Have fun!

Reply to
Jason

Hi Jim:

No, I didn't install a harness because I'm not towing any trailers yet. However, etrailer.com sells a harness that supposedly plugs into the factory 2003 Forester harnesses without splicing or cutting. "Just plug it in and tow". Draw-Tite #18370. It's $35, comes with instructions. I'd check it out for your specific year and make of car, could be a moneysaver over what the dealer wants!

Reply to
Jason

Jason,

THANKS! I will check it out.