Wrangler Bike Rack??

I am getting ready to purchase a receiver hitch bike rack for my 02 Wrangler online. I am worried about the spare tire bring too far out and blocking the length. I have a 2" receiver. Are there special racks for jeeps, has anyone had this problem?

Thanks

Reply to
Capt.Morgan

I bought a Reese spare tire receiver hitch bike rack from KMart and it fits just fine. It even has a ball mount so you can tow a trailer at the same time you have the bike mounted. It does block the tail gate from opening, but I hope you figured that out already. You shouldn't need a special one.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I have one that just straps onto the spare tire. Basic one with two prongs.

Mike

Mike Romain

I have a Bell receiver hitch rack from Pep Boys. When you remove a clevis pin it folds down and allows you to open the rear gate.

The clearance in ok for a 30-9.50x15 tire on the standard mount; but not quite enough for a 31-10.50x15 tire on a Teraflex oversize tire mount. It's easy to drill another couple of holes for the clevis pin to make up the difference.

Reply to
Jack Myers

I've got the Allen 4 bike carrier, it fits in the 2" Reese receiver and works great! The frame itself is made specially angled to go past the spare tire.

Here is the link to Quadratec, notice there are a few different styles but the one you'll be looking for is the one with it angles off the bottom and not a straight 90 degree bend. Like most of the standard racks are.

This is the one I have with a 33" spare no problems...

Hope this helps.

Reply to
BW

BTW:

They do make these in 2, 3 & 4 bike setups as well, Also they do fold back out of the way (not all the way) so you can get into the back of your Jeep.... I'm running it on a 2000 Wrangler and it works for me.

Reply to
BW