Fram aftermarket Sonata Oil Filter - Failure!

Page 3 of 3
> GUEST wrote: > Several Months ago, there was some discussion about aftermarket oil filters > for the Sonata. I had purchased a Fram PH9999. I
took several pictures of > it - the filter, O rings, and took similar pictures of the genuine Hyundai > filter. Matt Whiting had the following to say: "The pictures are very nice. > In the pictures, it appears that both the filter media and the inner o-rings > (I think they are o-rings anyway) are a different color from the Hyundai > filter. This may be inconsequential or it may mean that these materials are > materially (pun intended!) different from the Hyundai filter. I'd want to > know if this was my engine." > > Well, Matt hit the nail on the head. Around the end of August, I did an oil > change, and installed the Fram filter in my 2006 Sonata. All was well until > I noticed the oil stain on my driveway yesterday. (My wife drives the car). > This morning, I looked under the hood, and found oil had been leaking from > between the cap and the filter housing. I tried to give it a turn, and found > it tight. I started the engine, and the entire filter housing was almost > immediately covered in oil. I took the filter cap off, hoping that it wasn't > cracked. > > It wasn't. The O ring for the cap was flat. It actually had hardened. I've > changed the oil in the car like 6 times now, and the Hyundai O ring was > still round and soft (flexible) when replaced. The Fram O ring actually is > now flat on the outside, and was really hard. I have pictures of the Hyundai > O ring I replaced it with up against the Fram O ring I removed. My server is > currently dead, so I anyone's got either a way to host them, or suggestions > as to how I can link to them, let me know (my email address is valid), and > I'll either email them to you, or follow whatever instructions so everyone > can see. > > I think a contributing factor was the cold weather we had the past few > days - pretty close to 30. I would have noticed the oil on the driveway, and > the way the oil flowed out, it would have made a really big puddle, and ran > the oil level down in the car. I suspect that as soon as the oil warms, it > quits leaking. > > I figure there's no point in trying to contact Fram about this - I can > picture how their customer service would react - denial.
Wow! We have covered several areas. I have a BSEE, MBA and Masters in Systems Engineering degrees. Have over 30 years experience in product design and now work for a major airplane manufacturing company (many billions) as an Avionics Engineer.
To evaluate an oil filter, one would need to know the specifications of the product including the tolorances of the parts, the material trace, the characteristics of the paper used in the filter, the quality control system, etc. We do not have access to that kind of info so just have to go by hearsay and experience.
I have found a couple of websites that have evaluated oil filters but just take those inputs with a grain of salt. Also, I wonder about the value of the filter with the high detergent oils we have today.
Medical question: I have an HMO and have had a couple of major surguries over the years. One should be educated and well informed before listening to any doctor. I investigate the ones I use very thoroughly before using them. Money is not the determining factor but past results are indicative of their quality.
When judging the quality of almost anything we purchase or use today we are limited by time to do research and lack of available information.
According to my training, a product should meet the listed requirements but not be overdesigned to the point of waste. I'm sure this is the attitude of Hyundai.
Very well put, southluke.

southluke wrote:

Wow, three degrees and still can't spell! :-)

What about high detergent filters causes you to question the value of an oil filter?

Where was the medical question?

True, but a lot can be gleaned by inspection if you know what you are looking for.

True, again, but there is no single set of requirements for either oil or oil filters. Do you want your oil to last 3,000 miles or 10,000 miles? Ditto the filter? I personally change my oil at 5,000 miles when under warranty and 10,000 miles when out of warranty. The former is almost certainly overkill for Mobil 1, but I don't want to risk a warranty hassle. And I don't want to have to worry if I can't get to an oil change for another 1,000 miles or so. If I was using an oil that met just the minimum requirements to last 3,000 miles without engine damage, then I have absolutely no margin for running to 4,000 occasionally. I personally like large margins for things like oil for the occasional extreme conditions my car may encounter.
Matt
On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 23:09:06 -0500, Bob wrote:

You might want to check out a friend of mine's web site. He did a fairly exhaustive test of a number of OEM and aftermarket oil filters. The work that Russ did is definitely worth checking out.
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Two phone calls later, I finally received the "Product Evaluation Form" form in the mail. I get to pay to "ship the package in such a way that you are able to track it". I called back, and asked if they could send me a prepaid shipping label, and their customer service rep tols me that I am responsible for paying for shipping it, and that they do not refund shipping. Lets see.... $5.00 shipping a $6.00 filter back so I can help them improve their product. I could see doing this if it damaged my car. This is going to happen to others, as there is nothing unusual about my car.
Maybe I'll just send the form back with the pictures of the mess, and the flat O rings to honeywell corporate.
I get to say it with a justifiable reason: Fram makes substandard filters, does NOT stand behind them, and does not take the steps necessary to address the problem.

Wow, what a cheap outfit. If they truly wanted to see you problem, they'd pony up the few bucks for shipping. I'd be tempted to send it back and put in a clam for a new filter and cost of cleaning up the car and driveway. Take photos.
HYUNDAI SONATA, AZERA, ENTOURAGE, SANTA FE OIL FILTER FOR 3.3, 3.5, 3.8L V6 CARTRIDGE DRAIN GASKETS
LOT OF 4
$38.95
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HYUNDAI-SONATA-AZERA-ENTOURAGE-SANTA-FE-OIL-FILTER_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33661QQihZ001QQitemZ110078196497
--