Fram aftermarket Sonata Oil Filter - Failure!

Gee, Bob, that one went WAY over your head. You need to get your sarcasm detector fixed! :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Wow, three degrees and still can't spell! :-)

What about high detergent filters causes you to question the value of an oil filter?

Where was the medical question?

True, but a lot can be gleaned by inspection if you know what you are looking for.

True, again, but there is no single set of requirements for either oil or oil filters. Do you want your oil to last 3,000 miles or 10,000 miles? Ditto the filter? I personally change my oil at 5,000 miles when under warranty and 10,000 miles when out of warranty. The former is almost certainly overkill for Mobil 1, but I don't want to risk a warranty hassle. And I don't want to have to worry if I can't get to an oil change for another 1,000 miles or so. If I was using an oil that met just the minimum requirements to last 3,000 miles without engine damage, then I have absolutely no margin for running to 4,000 occasionally. I personally like large margins for things like oil for the occasional extreme conditions my car may encounter.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

With the twist in the thread that occurred earlier, one just can't tell......

Reply to
Bob

You might want to check out a friend of mine's web site. He did a fairly exhaustive test of a number of OEM and aftermarket oil filters. The work that Russ did is definitely worth checking out.

Rob Smith

Two phone calls later, I finally received the "Product Evaluation Form" form in the mail. I get to pay to "ship the package in such a way that you are able to track it". I called back, and asked if they could send me a prepaid shipping label, and their customer service rep tols me that I am responsible for paying for shipping it, and that they do not refund shipping. Lets see.... $5.00 shipping a $6.00 filter back so I can help them improve their product. I could see doing this if it damaged my car. This is going to happen to others, as there is nothing unusual about my car.

Maybe I'll just send the form back with the pictures of the mess, and the flat O rings to honeywell corporate.

I get to say it with a justifiable reason: Fram makes substandard filters, does NOT stand behind them, and does not take the steps necessary to address the problem.

Reply to
Bob

Wow, what a cheap outfit. If they truly wanted to see you problem, they'd pony up the few bucks for shipping. I'd be tempted to send it back and put in a clam for a new filter and cost of cleaning up the car and driveway. Take photos.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

HYUNDAI SONATA, AZERA, ENTOURAGE, SANTA FE OIL FILTER FOR 3.3, 3.5, 3.8L V6 CARTRIDGE DRAIN GASKETS

LOT OF 4

$38.95

Steve R.