Reprogramming the security system?

2007 Sonata
Today, I was standing under an overhang at a local Walmart, looking out at an incredibly fierce thunderstorm that was blowing through. The
rain was torrential, and was mixed with a little hail. I knew I was going to get wet, so I figured I'd be prepared and try to minimize the soaking.
I pressed the Unlock on the remote, to confirm the car was the one I thought it was, then I pressed it again, to unlock all the doors. I then waited for a break in the car traffic, and made a dash for the car. Getting to it, I pulled the handle, and found it was locked. Of course, before I made the dash, I had put the keys back in my pocket, so here I am, with three bags of stuff in my right hand, the keys in my right pocket, resulting in a lot of fumbling and a LOT of soaking.
What I would like to know is whether or not it is possible to have the security system reprogrammed to stop the doors from locking again after a few seconds. I'd like it to not relock at all, but would settle for a delay of a couple or five minutes.

I've never used my Hyundai fob until now. It certainly does re-lock. I had a remote starter installed (Code Alarm) and the fob will lock or unlock the doors but does not have the relock feature.
Locking car door is an invitation for damage anyway so I don't bother.
The re-lock delay is 30 seconds, which is quite a bit of time. It's not difficult to plan your moves when you know what the time interval is.
On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 01:35:11 GMT, Brian Nystrom posted:

It's far too short, IMO. I'd prefer no relock at all, but 2 to 5 minutes would be tolerable.
There will be a Command Start installed before winter, so here's hoping it will replace the Hyundai remote with something better.

Why wait for winter? Kind of nice even to have the AC running for a minute on a really sunny day.

I agree. If I unlock my car, I trust myself to want that car unlocked. I don't want some engineer deciding for me that the car should re-lock itself after some time interval. There is a point where cute engineering just goes too far.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

My car with the Code Alarm remote starter does not do that. Nor does it flash the same lights. I don't know if that was intentional or not or how they set up the system. I don't lock my car much anyway, but I'd not want it to re-lock on me.
.Just my opinion, but locking a car has little or no benefit. A pro will steal it anyway. I know three people that have had their locked and alarmed cars stolen while parked less than 30 feet from them. I've had my cars "broke into" twice, and the total loss was $10 can of oil in the back seat of one of them. Others had broken windows, slashed convertible tops, pried doors, etc. Locking will keep out kids under the age of 12. Maybe.

I agree with all about the re-lock programming. It should be changed to allow modification or removal.
And Edwin, your opinion about locking the car is valid, but can vary from place to place. Where I live, kids (18 and under) are the big issue with stuff getting stolen out of cars. They only get the cars that are unlocked. If a pro wants my car, or the stuff in it, locked or unlocked won't stop them, and it may or may not reduce the damage. But it definitely keeps the kids out in an area where that is the real concern.
I should add that my car is garage kept and is always unlocked at home, but most in my area don't have that luxury.
Eric