'83 diesel glow plugs

Any advise to make replacing the 4 glow plugs go easier? C223 in an '83 P'up. The back two are cake, however I have a huge AC compressor in the way of the front two. I definitely cannot disconnect any hoses from it but I would like to at least unhook it from the bracket to gain access to those front two glow plugs. Any secret tricks or am I just in for bloody knuckles and frustration?

Reply to
DaveJr

Dave,

I had the same problem a few years ago. I did mine with the A/C compressor in place, and got my knuckles bloody. Since A/C was actually a dealer-installed option back then, we may have different compressors. I don't recall a problem with the front two, but I had problems with at least one.

Jack

Reply to
JR

Hey Jack, I did the same thing. Very tricky finger work and a small wrench. We probably have the same AC setup. I also had the alternator rebuilt to new condition for about $100. My engine has only 73,000 miles on it, so with the $150 total investment including new glow plugs, I should be good to go for another 22 years. :)

By the way, have you ever had any weird problems with your gas gauge?

Reply to
DaveJr

gauge?

Weird problems? Well, the needle keeps moving to the "E" about every

500 miles!

Jack

Reply to
JR

In another posting in this newsgroup, titled 'funny gas guage' , I was asking something about that.

Reply to
DaveJr