O2 Sensors - 1996 Trooper 3.2 V6

I'm a newbie owner of a 1996 Trooper w/108k on the clock. The "check engine" light is on and it's been scanned with "O2 sensors slow to move" or something like that. They probably do need replacing but can I do this myself with basic mechanical skills?

How easy are the O2 sensors to get to on a '96? Any pitfalls in a backyard mechanic trying to do this himself? Is it a DIY type auto project? Special tools?

Thx for any input!

Reply to
Steve

get Liquid Wrench and pre-soak the O2 sensor on exhaust for a couple hours, repeat a couple times before you apply a standard 21 or 23 cm wrench to turn counter clockwise. comes off really easy after that. place some newspaper under the area to soak the drip.

you can buy replacement Bosch sensor from Advanced Auto Parts or Napa for around $40

other than the wrench, no other tool is needed

Reply to
Dodo

Like Dodo said - soak them with liquid wrench first. They are nearly impossible to get out otherwise. I don't know about that trooper, but most vehicles have 2 or more O2 Sensors - one on each exhaust pipe before the collector, or one after the collector, but before the catalytic converter and one after the cat. Chances are if one is going the other(s) will go soon, so I would go ahead and replace them all.

BTW, a 21 or 23 cm wrench is _way_ to big try, a 21 or 23 mm >> How easy are the O2 sensors to get to on a '96? Any pitfalls in a

Reply to
Ed H.

I have 4 sensors on 98 Trooper. Right front one is impossible to change without removing prop shaft. Liquid wrench (or equivalent) is a must, or you wont get them out.

General opinion on the net is not to use aftermarket Bosch sensors (people say they fail pretty quickly), so I went for Borg-Wagner... and both replacements failed after about 10K miles. So I got OEM (only slightly more expensive than BWs), and these have been working just fine so far. I'm keeping my fingers crossed ;)

Peter

Reply to
Peter

o2 sensors are not as easy as you may think. You may possibly strip the treads in you exaust manifold trying to remove it. Isuzu is famous for rusting parts. When you remove it try to remember if you get it out to use high heat anti sieze when you put the new one in.

Reply to
1shot