Dilemma: what should I do??????

Got myself a little dilemma...

As a second car I have an '88 Sovereign 3.6, used only for driving on sunny days, it's a hobby.

And guess what..... I got myself an oil-pressure-problem... The display gives me a red light when idle. When I start the car, no problems. After driving some distance and pulling over, the oilpressure goes up and down untill I press the accelarator down a little. The car just got checked by Jaguar for it's MOT, so the oil level is no problem.

Looked on the internet, talked to some people (who know) and they all say the same. 99% it's the oil-pressure-sender. Got myself another one (2nd hand) from a reliable source. But, after having removed the air-filter I discovered to my horor that I can't reach the sender, well I can, but not in such a way I can replace it..... Arghhhh!!!!

So, here's my dilemma. I'm sure that, based on what I read about others and my observations, it will be the sender. Shall I ignore the red-light, check the oil on a regular base until the oil and the filter have to be replaced and let Jaguar replace the old one with my replacement one (I know the guys down here, they will do that). Or do I need to replace it a.s.a.p. (and thus needing to replace the oil-filter also) ?????

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated !!

Regards, JaguarDriver

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Let nobody take away your rights!!! More info at

JaguarDriver

I too have a 3.6 '88 XJ40. These oil senders are a weak point on the gauges of the Jag. For two years now, mine has been pegged tot he highest level, only coming down when the ignition was off or the oil level dropped. Now it does like yours and bounced around: 0 when I first stop at a light then back up to 3/4.

These cars are notorious for bad senders. I watch the coolant temperature and it never moves a bit so I am not worried about the oil flow. I have no sounds and my oil level hasn't dropped so I have assumed it is the sender. I have done close to 10,000 miles in this condition.

I do, however agree with Bryan N that a red light is not a good thing. I intend to replace my sender when I get to a stopping point. There are two types on the market -- the on/off that reads 1/2 or nothing all the time or the original that reads in gradients. Get the one that reads in gradients. I think buying a used one is a silly idea. These senders go new on Ebay all the time for around $20USD (~£12)

$23553748&categoryg63 I think you are being foolish in this area saving a few poundsgoing used.

Webserve

Reply to
webserve

Thanks for the info.

For your info, a new one costs here ?100,-. A used one like I said, from a reliable source (I'm not completely stupid you know) has a price of ?25,-

But like I said, thanks for the info. I have looked at Ebay and they do sell them cheaper than her from Jaguar ;-))

Regards, Jaguardriver

"webserve" schreef in bericht news:vggQa.18362$J% snipped-for-privacy@news.alltel.net...

$23553748&cat> egoryg63 I think you are being foolish in this area saving a few pounds> going used.

Reply to
JaguarDriver

Sorry, obviously the currency did not get posted correctly (I guess it's my mistake). It's 25 Euro for a used one and 100 Euro for a new one in the Netherlands. So, if I calculate correctly, the one from the company in the U.K. costs +/-

30 Euro (without shipping and handling). When looking around, I did not check abroad, sorry!

But the price of the sender was not an issue here. My dilemma was, WHEN to change it. Now (costing labour and an oil-filter), or with the next oil-change (costing little extra labour)...

Regards, JaguarDriver

36,45

"webserve" schreef in bericht news:IriQa.18372$J% snipped-for-privacy@news.alltel.net...

$23553748&cat> > > egoryg63 I think you are being foolish in this area saving a few > > pounds> > > going used.

Reply to
JaguarDriver

OK, THAT makes more sense!! You are right, the cost to you would be 30+ euros. Shipping from the UK would be outrageous, (at least it is to the US) so I would do exactly what you are doing. When they go to change the oil and they pull off the filter than have them swap senders! They sholdn't even charge you any more!

I thought you were in the UK. Why I thought that I have no reason! When shopping for parts, however, I shop the whole world. depending upon rate of exchange and shipping, I have saved hundreds of dollars over what it costs to buy the part here. Unfortunately for me, the US dollar has gotten so weak and shipping so high it is no longer worth buying from Europe. It is actually more the shipping increases than the rate of exchange.

Webserve

$23553748&cat> > > > egoryg63 I think you are being foolish in this area saving a few> > > pounds

Reply to
webserve

your post included:

The car just got checked by Jaguar for it's MOT, so the oil level is no problem.

I believe the reason that the warning light is now blinking is that the new oil is a bit thin for this engine's bearings etc. and the oil pressure is low, but not fatal.

A heavier SAE viscosity oil should be used the next time and the light will probably stop blinking - with or without a replacement sending unit.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

"T.G. Lambach" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@NoHamOrSpamcomcast.net...

Good point, except that the oil was changed last year and not recently. The warning just popped up last week (haven't driven the Cat ever since). The oil-level is checked at regular intervals (so my MOT remark could have given you a wrong impression) and that is still ok! The problem only occurs when the car has been driven some distance AND the engine runs idle...

A thicker oil could solve it, but my feelings tell me that replacing the sender is better... Nevertheless thanks for trying to help !!

Regards, JaguarDriver ==================== Bedankt, Patrick

Reply to
JaguarDriver

Hmmm, today I thought of something.......

When I bought the car, within weeks the oil and filter have been changed. That was a year ago. No don't get upset, very little has been driven, something like 6000 km.

Could it be possible that the car is due for an oil change? According to the Haynes, it should be done every 12000 km (7500 miles) or every 6 months, what comes first............

Any thoughts?

Regards, Jaguarriver

"JaguarDriver" schreef in bericht news:bernup$2jk$ snipped-for-privacy@reader1.tiscali.nl...

Reply to
JaguarDriver

Oil should be OK, unless there's quite some dilution from gasoline due to short trips, too cool operating temp and worn piston rings. When in doubt have the oil changed and the new sender installed.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach