2006 Jetta Dilemma

Ok. I haven't been here for a while. My old 89 Jetta was the best car I ever had. I got rid of it two years ago for a Honda which was surprisingly fun to drive. But I need my VW 'fix' again. It's like a drug.

So... I want to get a 2006 Jetta - any thoughts? Any reliability problems so far with the new model?

Also, should I get the Diesel? or 2.5l? Any opinions? I like the way the diesel drives, but it felt that the gas was overall much quicker.

I want the new one really bad. If there is anything out there I should be aware of, please tell me. I don't want to make a mistake.

Reply to
Anthony Romanelli

Fuel prices aren't going to go down. :) While (lowest octane) gas and diesel cost about the same per litre in Canada, you'll get get about twice the distance per tank of diesel. The diesel engine is of course more expensive, so it will take some time to recoup the cost before you start 'saving money'.

I drive a '03 Golf TDI and the diesel is fun with a manual transmission. Although the acceleration in a diesel is not as fast as a gas engine, the top speed is the same. :)

Reply to
David Magda

Early production cars had a few minor issues but all should be taken care of by now. If I was to buy now, I would forgo the extra power and go TDI all the way.

Reply to
Woodchuck