Mazda 323 dilemma

Earlier this year, my 1992 Mazda 323 3-door hatch developed a problem, where when driving along as usual, the revs would drop to 0, and there'd be no power output from the engine. The accelerator pedal did nothing either. After a few seconds it would all come back and all was normal again. I took it to an independent mechanic, but he was unable to find the cause. This problem developed, and when the power from the engine cut out again, it died on me and refused to restart. After fiddling about with a few wires in the engine bay I got it started and straight to the local Mazda dealer. They told me it needed a new ignition coil, I told them to go ahead and fit one, and they charged me £171. Five minutes after I left the dealer in my supposedly-repaired 323, it died on me again. More wire fiddling, and straight back to the dealer. They tested it for a couple of days and found nothing wrong with it. I drove it away and all seemed fine. A month later, it died on me again, only this time it refused to restart. Back to the dealer, and now it needs a new 'igniter unit'. £350 fitted. I've searched eBay, and left enquiries with a couple of parts websites, but can't find any other way of obtaining one. I have wondered about buying the part from the dealer and trying to fit it myself to save

*some* money, but does anyone know if it's particularly tricky to fit? I really don't want to pay £350 for it, but it seems like I don't have any alternative.

Thanks.

Reply to
Paul Coffee

send me a part number /picture/ distributor number off the old one....see if i can help. mark.

Reply to
mark

Paul,

I had exactly the same thing a couple of years ago with my 5 door 323SE. I bought a 'spark amplifier' from Mazda in Tunbridge Wells for around £145 and fitted it myself. It only took about 15 mins and I've had no problems with it since. (I REALLY hope I'm not going to regret writing that!)

Good luck.

Reply to
TCAC

Paul, I had exactly the same problem with my 5-door 323se a couple of years ago. I ended up buying a new 'spark amplifier' from Mazda in Tunbridge Wells for around £145 and fitted it myself. It only took about 15 mins and, so far, I haven't had any further problems with it. (I REALLY hope I'm not going to regret typing that!)