P38 dilemma

I have a 95 4.6 HSE and the list of jobs to do now fills nearly two full pages of A4. I am undecided what to do with it. It is in effect a spare vehicle as I have my company vehicle for day-to-day use. The jobs are all niggles rather than anything major. Well, blend motors etc are a bit more than niggles! Anyway I am now at a fork in the road. Do I

a) rebuild it as a street cruiser, put in a thumping stereo, DVDs, playstation, 20 inch wheels with low profile tyres and an up rated engine or

b) turn it into a serious off roader. I've never seen a bobtailed P38. Has anyone else done one yet? There seem to be a lack of sump and diff guards etc available for it. In many ways it seems to be the forgotten marque for after market off road bits. I've yet to see a winch bumper for it, for example.

Also it has no diff lock although it does have a primitive form of traction control on the rear axle only. I know some disco series II had all the internal gubbins for diff locks and the disco II is essentially the same as the P38. Does anyone know if this holds true for the rangie?

Anyway, what to do? All suggestions welcome

Adam

Reply to
Adam Swire

flog it to the first passer-by with more than two coins to rub together - reclaim your life :)

Reply to
William Tasso

It has a viscous coupling on the centre diff. Does almost the same job as a diff lock, ie does not allow one axle to spin when other is stationary.

Std P38a are surprisingly capable off road, or according to this post "awesome".

I would suggest the rangerovers.net forum to anyone with a P38, and there are (mostly septics and Aussies) there with off-road modded Rangies.

David

Reply to
rads

No comment ;-)

Yes - was a good mag article on a bob-tailed P38, and I've seen at least one on eBay (tho it was bloody awful!).

If you have the 4.6 HSE then it has traction on both axles, coupled with the VC it works well.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Depends on the age.

Early 4.6 Rear axle only.

Late 4.6 both axles.

4.0 None.

David

Early 4.0, now fitted with a 4.6, no TC!

Reply to
rads

Ah, OK. I was lead to believe (by ex LR dealer mechanic) that the 4.6 "HSE" (specifically) had it on both axles from launch. Then AIUI, from '99 all models got it on all wheels - tho I admit we didn't have a long conversation about it.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Was the 4.6 available in any otherr than HSE spec (in the UK, NAS specs different)?

David

Reply to
rads

||| Depends on the age. ||| ||| Early 4.6 Rear axle only. ||| ||| Late 4.6 both axles. ||| ||| 4.0 None. ||| ||| David ||| ||| Early 4.0, now fitted with a 4.6, no TC! || || Ah, OK. I was lead to believe (by ex LR dealer mechanic) that the || 4.6 "HSE" (specifically) had it on both axles from launch. Then || AIUI, from '99 all models got it on all wheels - tho I admit we || didn't have a long conversation about it. || || Matt

My 1997 4.6 HSE had TC on rear axle only.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Aside from special editions I don't know - perhaps not. I'm talking UK spec. As I said, it wasn't a long conversation - I was just asking which ones came with traction control on both axles as my DSE didn't come with it at all! You are possibly right. All I know for sure is that after '99 (UK) they all came with traction on both axles as I have a brochure from '99 when the face-lift came out.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

I guess I mis-heard or mis-remember (more likely!). I guess that was the only model with traction control at all at that time.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

||| Was the 4.6 available in any otherr than HSE spec (in the UK, NAS ||| specs different)? || || Aside from special editions I don't know - perhaps not. I'm talking || UK spec. As I said, it wasn't a long conversation - I was just || asking which ones came with traction control on both axles as my DSE || didn't come with it at all! You are possibly right. All I know for || sure is that after '99 (UK) they all came with traction on both || axles as I have a brochure from '99 when the face-lift came out. || || Matt

I think there was the HSE and then later the Vogue - and that's it. That's ignoring stuff like the Autobiography.

Reply to
Richard Brookman