1995 ZJ Limited front U-joint and pinion seal Update

Well after a trip down the Quebec Route 364 from the laurentians my scenic route with a posted 90Km/h speed limit, I got my Family and ZJ, Canoe and Bikes etc through the worst teeth rattling shakedown ever. I averaged 40km/h on the most pitted and bumpy highway I have ever been on.

The good news is that all that rattling created a crunching vibration especially when turning right. which upon inspection of the wheel led to my finding out that the front u joint had an almost half inch play forward and back. I had it replaced by a friend( lack of Time and comfort with the job), $31.00CDN for a heavy duty U joint from CDN Tire. I also had the Pinion seal replaced since it had been leaking. $15.00CDN from CDN Tire. Paid $80.00CDn for the job.

The funny thing is a few problems I thought I had have all disappeared.

My front discs are not warped after all......( Had them changed 10K Km ago) no more head nodding and clicking sound when stopping.

A tendency to wander on the highway is much reduced and the steering feels more solid.

A hollow sound clicking noise when in FT 4WD which the mechanic said was normal is gone!

A clunking sound from the front right which was diagnosed as a bad front shock is, you guessed it GONE!!

I think the looses joint also may have caused the pinion seal leak as well from all that moving around.

Since I bought the ZJ Used and had no knowledge of how a new one felt, drove etc The transformation and NVH improvement is incredible.

Anyway thanks to you guys for the insight and help in getting this Jeep steadily into better and better health.

Cheers,

Paul T.

1995 ZJ Limited 4.0L
Reply to