97 grand cherokee clank on right turns question

When I make a right turn (not a left, only a right) or hit a bump there's a clanking or clunking noise from the front end, like something's hitting on something (not a "click", it's fairly loud). It happens once or twice on a turn or bump, it's not something that goes on for a while and doesn't seem to be speed related. Haven't pulled the wheels to do a thorough inspection yet but looking underneath I'm not seeing anything lodged in the suspension or obviously loose or broken except that the rubber boot on the left CV joint is completely shot. For the moment I'm not driving the Jeep if I can avoid it, but when I get around to pulling the wheel is there anything non-obvious that I should be looking for?

Reply to
J. Clarke

** Posted from
**
Reply to
L.W.(ßill)Hughes III

Oddly enough. :) Yep.

Since your jeep is getting old enough, check this too.

DougW

Thank you very much for that.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I would check the front axle U joints. I experienced a similar condition !

bmc

Reply to
Brian Colwell

FWIW, I got a chance to take a good look at it yesterday, turns out that the left side stabilizer bar connecting link has come apart. From the looks of it it's been apart a long time--the ball is beat up andrusty. Dunno why it only just now started making a noise. The one on the other side seems to be OK. And yeah, I did notice the change in handling, had it in to the dealer to look at it and they didn't find anything.

Project for next weekend, replace the link and the CV boots--left side is all torn up, right side I don't _see_ a hole but it's cracking and there's oil on the frame around it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Never did a writeup for the CV boot, but it's easy if you don't have to dissasemble the CV joint. (at least on the 93) just take the wheel off, set the caliper aside (don't hang it from the hose) pull the disc, take three bolts off, and slide the axle out.

The tricky bit is getting those three bolts out. I had to use a bit of creative thought. :)

Yes, that's a floor jack being used to push up on a breaker bar to loosen one of those stubborn bolts.

When you put the axle back in be careful not to pick up dirt from the axle tube. There are tools to clean them out. Dunno if parts stores rent them or not. Sort of looks like a D on a long rod. The key is to keep dirt out of the diff.

It's damn hard to keep the axle from hitting the tube so I put a long piece of thin cardboard in the bottom of the tube. That kept the axle from hitting any junk. Then pulled the carboard out after getting the axle started into the first seal.

If you have to seperate the CV joint... well, you need a vice and a big rubber mallet. Remember to scribe an alignment mark across the face of the bearing hub, cage, and outer housing. CV joints like to go back the same way they are used to running.

Reply to
DougW

Just a quick heads up for you, normally when I come across torn boots on CV joints, the CV joint is failed or about to fail. The extra slop from one about to fail is enough to over stress the boot tearing it, then once dirt has gotten into the bearings and races it makes the final wear very fast so they fail very soon after.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build Photos:
Mike Romain