97 JEEP CHEROKEE SPORT A/C CLUTCH RUNS CONSTANTLY

Please hep me. I have spent the last two days trying to see if anyone else had posted this problem on this web site but nothing quite fit. As soon as I turn my car on the A/C clutch engages and starts to run. That would be fine except that I have the A/C off. It will continue running till the car is turned off. I have checked the relay under the hood and it is working. I do not know what is sending the clutch the go sign for it to come on but it just does. I also can not run my fan in the car. It will only run the A/C until it will freeze up. I had our family mechanic look at the control panel for the A/C and fan and he said they are in good condition. I don't know if there is another relay that could be constantly open causing this to happen. A few months back I was hearing what I thought was like a ticking sound coming from the glove compartment area but thought nothing of it. Could something be in that area that would cause this to happen and if so what can I do to fix it? I have two additional problem relating to this. The first is that the A/C will run for about 30-45 minutes and then the compressor will freeze up and will not work until it defrosts. Can this be connected to the first problem just because the clutch is always running or is it a new problem entirely?? Lastly, if I take off from a standing possition and try to get upto 45-60 miles an hour the air in the car starts to make the sound you would get if you inhaled really deeply and nothing will come out of the air vent. Again, can this be connected to the same issue or is there something else I should be checking. Thank you for all your advice.

Viclos victoriaschenk at yahoo dot com

Reply to
Viclos

Does the clutch run with the relay out? With the clutch wire disconnected? If so, the clutch might be frozen.

Also possible the relay is bad. swap with fog light relay and test.

Reply to
DougW

Is the AC/heat selector in the defrost position?

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

Thank you for taking the time to help. I was there and I saw my mechanic take the relay out and the clutch kept right on going like nothing had happened. Then when he disconnected the wire it stopped becuse it had no power and he used a pen tester and there was power coming from the wire itself evethough the relay was still out of the housing. I will try your remedy and will respond again by the morning. Do you think the other problems could be associated to this as well?? Thanks again.

Reply to
Viclos

Thank you for helping. Actually it is not. The clutch runs from the time the key is turned till I turn the car off. Non stop. Even if I wanted just the fan to work it still cranks and cranks. If I try to turn the heat on for the little while it works I get hot AC. It's the weirdest thing I have ever seen.

Reply to
Viclos

Follow the wire from the compressor back and see if the insulation has failed.

I had to replace the computer in my large car because the wires had touched.

5 volt inputs don't like 12 volt sources!!
Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

All, I can't see the wire this late at night but I will check it in the morning. I did try doing what DougW suggested regarding switching the relay from the fog light to the AC and the same result. I did make one huge mistake in the description of my problem. The clutch is not what is contantly running it is the evaporator. It starts to form a white film as soon as the car is turned on and freezes within just minutes. The clutch only runs when the car is on. When I turn the fan on the it kicks out cold AC. It only understands AC. If I try to turn it to 4 (high speed) then it start to hum and no air comes out at all. The same thing happens when I am entering the highway and have to accelerate quickly. The air flow cuts totally out and the loud hum start again. It's like inhaling really fast. That's the sound it makes. Then if I slow down 10-15 miles an hour it will kick back on but as soon as I speed up again it does the same thing again. I did take a look under the glove compartment and there are three more large black relays which I do not know what they are for but I am willing to bet that one of those suckers is causing me all this trouble. Do you or does anyone know what each of those three relays do? I gamble once in a while and I would bet the house that the problem lives there. Please reply when you can and have a great night.

Reply to
Viclos via CarKB.com

This is for a 1993 ZJ. Your model might be different but without a schematic I can only guess.

Power to the AC clutch flows like this.

Battery--fuse--->LowLimit Switch-->HighLimit Switch--->relay----->AC Clutch Positive The relay is similar to this one.

If the AC relay was pulled and the clutch was still working, then there is a short in the relay center.

Try disconnecting the high limit or low limit switches. Just disconnect the wire and that will cut all power to the relay (low limit is on the accumulator, high limit is on the back of the comressor) Ref:

If disconnecting the limit switch doesn't stop the clutch then your short is betwen pins 16 and either 18 or 19

If disconnecting the limit switch stops the clutch then the short is between pins 17 and 19

Reply to
DougW

can only guess.

short in the relay center.

Reply to
Viclos via CarKB.com

can only guess.

short in the relay center.

Reply to
Viclos via CarKB.com

If they are like my ZJ, one is for door lock, one for unlock, and one for power antenna. There can be a fourth and it's for the alarm system.

Reply to
DougW

No luck there either. I know there has to be a short somewhere. I just have to find this thing before it drives me nuts. Thank for all your help.

Reply to
Viclos via CarKB.com

I don't know if this helps, but normally when the heater/air is affected by acceleration, you have a vacuum leak.

The dash switches are also known to melt down and fail.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
Viclos via CarKB.com