Belt squeak?

Hello group and thanks in advance for any help. This is more of a general automotive question but I figured you folks would be the ones to ask.

I have a '98 Wrangler and occasionally it makes a squeaking sound like a belt or pulley is going bad. The volt meter also drops to nothing. The serp. belt looks fine but then again I'm not much of a wrencher so I may not be seeing the signs. Is this worth taking in, or is there something I can try/check before paying someone to look at it? Thanks,

=DM=

Reply to
DrMega

I'd start by using some Belt Dressing on all the belts. Check for any cracks or tears as well. Are you somewhere where it's very cold? If so (like me), the belts sometimes just squeal for a bit until they warm up. But you say "Squeak", so that might be something totally different ...a lot of garages will check that for free.

Reply to
griffin

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

That is either the symptom of a polished up or loose fan belt or a dead alternator bushing.

If the alternator bushing goes bad, some smoke or burning rubber smell should happen when it goes to no volts.

I always check my belt by taking a cold off engine and grabbing the alternator pulley to see if I can hand slip it. The alternator takes a few HP to spin up and if it will hand slip, it will slip under load.

I polish up belts like crazy when mud running. That liquid sand paper just polishes them up sweet.

I can't tell you how to tell if it is too loose, there is a tool for that kind of belt....

Mike

DrMega wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Also, check the idler pulley. I've had two of these give up the ghost. Symptoms sound similar.

Reply to
K Horner

Thank you everyone for your help. Looks like I have a couple things I can check before taking it in.

=DM=

Mike Roma> That is either the symptom of a polished up or loose fan belt or a dead

nothing.

Reply to
DrMega