Can I swap a 2000 XJ Rear Axle into a 1997 XJ

Hi any help will be greatly appreciated. I have a 1997 Cherokee 5spd XJ and I have the rear end from a 2000 Cherokee XJ with the automatic transmission. That rear i believe has 3:55 gears and mine the 97 has

3:07 I want to put that whole rear in my truck. Can I do this. So far I dont see any reason why I could not other than some concern about low pinion verse high pinion which i coul not make any sense of. Please I hope someone on here reading this will be able to help me with this question

Mike N Ny

Reply to
mikeli89

The rear axle will be a bolt-in swap. The 2000XJ should have the 8.25 rear axle, where the 97 has the dana 35. Be sure you grab the driveline from the

2000, just in case. Assuming both Jeeps are 4 wheel drive, you will not be able to use it untill you swap the front axles or gears to match.

HTH

Carl

Reply to
Carl S