Need T90 oil collector (Jeep pn 640413)

I'm rebuilding a couple of T90 3-speed trannys (not actually in a Jeep, it must be said - I'm a Scout guy :) and both of them had their oil collectors left out by some previous owner.

This part is impossible to find - millions of Jeep catalog companies claim to have it in their catalog but it's actually discontinued and these companies don't have stock.

Can anyone help with at least one? A salvage part out of a junked T90 is 100% fine as long as you haven't stepped on it; this is not really a wear item.

thanks.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

Sounds like you have the typical V8 conversion, and you know if it coughs it's going to take out second, and one of those teeth are going take out the oilier:

alongwith the input. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Huh? I have 152cid 4-cylinder engines. Nothing converted here - 152cid slant 4 + T90 plus Dana 18 t-case is the factory configuration for a Scout 80 4x4.

2nd gear is pretty worn in both of my trans's and I intend to replace it. The counter shaft is also fairly worn, so I'm replacing that.

I couldn't get into that website - it said I have cookies disabled, even though I don't.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

Wait a moment, I found the part on this store... I hope they have it in stock. I've asked at least fifteen different online stores to date.

thanks (I hope).

Reply to
zwsdotcom

The oil collectors were actually deleted from later production runs, they're there to help prevent too much oil going out the front bearing.

Three points-

Unless you're going down a 50% grade all the oil going out through the bearing ends up draining back into the case anyhow. If you're going down a steeper grade the collector ain't a gonna stop it anyhow. :(

Later cases added an o-ring to the front bearing cap to seal the input shaft a' la the T14 cap( which, oddly enough, is a bolt on)

The hot tickie is to replace the front bearing with a sealed unit & plug the return port. And put the o-ring in the cap. :)

If you haven't seen them I highly recommend Rick Stiver's T90 & D-18 rebuild guides-

If they'll help you out photo's I took during my own rebuilds are here-

They're labled according to the rebuild guide sections.

A buddy of mine is just finishing up a total 100% stock restoration of his '64 Bronco, even chased down a front bench seat for the thing :/.

Good luck,

H.

Howard Eisenhauer
*Snip*

OOOOPS, My mistake, you're a *Scout* guy- No offence intended. I also know a guy who's into Scouts :).

H.

Reply to
Howard Eisenhauer

Unfortunately not necessarily true. The fill line for the T90, near as I can make out, is just about exactly where the oil level crosses that return hole from the input shaft housing. How do I know this/why do I care? My truck leaks from this point when moving; I think it is splash [which the oil collector is supposed to reduce] :(

Yea, the issue of the front seal really has me confused actually. The factory configuration for my truck ('65) was a thick felt donut (missing in both the trans's I own). Rockauto crosses the front seal to something that looks like a neoprene ring. When I actually ordered it, it turns out to be a metal ring with what looks and smells like a leather seal inside it. Very odd. The rebuild kits come with the felt seal; I'm not sure what my best path would be.

I had read these extensively...

but never saw this before, thanks.

Reply to
zwsdotcom

On level ground?? Sumptin isn't making sense here :? Of course, if a T90 isn't leaking at least a little oil it can only mean one thing- its out of oil :)

The felt seal is really more of a dust/mud inhibiter, obviously felt won't stop oil from getting past. Not sure about the metal/leather seal, only ever heard of the rubber ones, maybe a IH specific item? At any rate the cap has to be specificly machined to take a seal- the T14 & IIRC later T90 caps have a thicker casting where the tube goes in to facilitate fitting the seal, theres not enough material there on the regular T90 cap.

Have you considered going with the sealed input bearing? Lots of people are very happy with them. (Ignore the rebuild guide where they say to remove the inner seal for lubrication, these bearings are designed to go 100,000 miles as is.)

Have you tried Walck's for the collector-

It's rare that they don't have NOS stuff in stock, you can also try Peter Debella-

also pretty much guaranteed to have the collector in stock.

You're welcome :)

Good luck,

H.

Reply to