OT axle question

What got me into reading about the axles n such in my previous post is this:

On a 1970 Cadillac Sedan Deville, how can I change the bolt patterns from 5 on 5 like it is now to 5 on 4 3/4? I've been looking for info on the internet on this car's rear axle and can't find any info that would help me.

I personally wouldn't want to do this but a friend asked.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

First of all, your TJ has a 5 on 4.5, not 5 on 5. Second, it is generally better to have a larger bolt patern than a smaller one, why do you want to convert from a 5 (which I said you don't have) to a 4.75? Thirdly, it is easy to find adapter plates that change the bolt pattern from one to another. These are sometimes called spacers, or adapters.

Never mind, I just got it, the Cadillac is a 5 on 5. Your TJ is still a 5 on

4.5 though, the 5 on 4.75 isn't going to get you very much.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Method 1: Remove the wheel studs, weld the holes shut, drill new holes in the desired positions, reinstall the wheel studs and machine down the center as necessary to fit the replacement rims.

Method 2: Buy aftermarket adapters to change the bolt pattern. This will place the wheels further apart, and may not be as strong as bolting the wheels directly to the axles.

Method 3: Replace the axle shafts with those that have the desired bolt pattern.

Method 4: Buy some Cadillac rims.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Not me! heheheh somebody asked me if there's a way to do it without spacers. They have paid almost $5000 for this set of billet aluminum rims, custom job, and want to keep them and put them on the caddi. They were made for a

2000 s10, w/ 5 x 4 3/4, from what I remember... I think they're just outta luck on this one, reading from what other people have posted on this. I dont think I'd trust this heavy car with spacers. I think the curb weight is around 4800 lbs. But this makes me wonder now...

My TJ for some reason has different sized lugs on the rear than the front. I have to switch sockets on my 4way when rotating the tires. Why would the d44 have different sized lug nuts on the rear than the front d30?

Troy

Reply to
Troy

I didn't know it was a "pimp my ride" deal! For that kind of money, it is possible to have custom axle shafts made. Front hubs too.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Sounds like someone swapped lug nuts at one time, they should all be identical & interchangeable, for a 3/4" socket.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

(sigh)

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Metric system was French actually - introduced in 1791.

Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

You're a big nut.