Question about recycling motor oil

I took my used motor oil to Advance Auto parts today for recycling. While I was dumping my oil I read a sign about not putting "contaminated oil" or anti freeze into the reclaimation tank. My question is; what would happen if somebody DID put fouled oil or antifreeze in there? Do the oil recyclers "cook" out the contamimants? Or how is this done?

Reply to
Elflan

I was given the impression that it is distilled the same as unrecycled oil & I would therefore think that it really wouldn't make any difference in the finished product - unless it could cause the need for an extra run. I would also think that contaminants would cause extra garbage to be left over with whatever doesn't boil off. Also when they distill oil, if antifreeze is mixed in, the antifreeze is considered garbage & not recycled.

Reply to
Carlo Jr.

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

It's part of our garbage bill here. They have a drop off center for all haz mats & they even have a 27' container with shelves in it where you can swap spray cans of paint, insecticides, etc. They even mix up all of the paint , then put into 5 gal buckets & you can take as many as you want for "free" (no choice of color - but it's cheap - you have paid for it as part of your garbage bill whether you use it or not). I asked about the oil & they said that a company named "Evergreen" recycles it. Have never seen it on the shelves anywhere around here.

Reply to
Carlo Jr.