Radiator problem

99 TJ 4.0 ltr.

My jeep looses about a cup of coolant after driving it any length of time. It comes out around the top of the radiator where the top half is crimped on to the radiator. It does not come out around the cap area.

Any one ever had this happen . Any good ideas?

Thanks

Reply to
Kevin

Jeff

If you do not put the cup back in, does it continue to loose more?

Reply to
CRWLR

No, It does this after it is parked, but stops after loosing about a cup. When I looked under the hood I see a small amount of coolant around the seam on the side of the radiator.

Reply to
Kevin

My question is, does it continue to loose coolant if you do not top it off again? I wouldn't be too concerned with losing a cup of coolant, if that is all that gets lost. Stop putting that last cup in and leave it alone.

Reply to
CRWLR

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 15:09:35 -0800, "CRWLR" shared the following:

Yeah, what have you got to loose? *grinding teeth* Maybe the cap is just lose. *left eye begins to twitch*

-- Travis

trails!!! :wq!

Reply to
travis

Thanks, couldn't have said it better myself!

Chris

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 23:28:09 GMT, "c" shared the following:

Thanks for the comment. Now I don't feel like such a looser. ;-)

-- Travis

trails!!! :wq!

Reply to
travis

You are missing the point. If it loses a cup, then loses no more, there is no problem. The coolant expands and contracts, and it has to go somewhere during the expansion. If it comes out and stops, then fine. If it keeps coming out, then not so fine.

I didn't get the sense from the original poster that it leaks and leaks and leaks. Instead, I get the sense that a little comes out and it stops, he refills it and it comes out again, so he refills it once more and it comes out again. My question to him was, if you do not refill it, does it continue to come out? If not, then there is no real problem, and it is time to go wheeling until something else falls off or breaks.

Reply to
CRWLR

Unless of course, the place where the coolant leaks is a hole. In that case, it will also leak pressure which screws up the pressurized cooling system and causes an unnecessary early boilover risk due to the lowered boiling point caused by the lowered pressure.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

IF THERE IS A HOLE, IT WILL KEEP LEAKING. IT WILL NOT LEAK A CUP AND STOP.

If there is a hole, then the pressure issues you speak of will continue to be present, and the leak will not stop. And, if the leak does stop after a single cup out of - how many? - 12 quarts, who cares? Move on.

Reply to
CRWLR

No offense CRWLR, but you missed the point. Our posts were in regards to misuse of the words lose and loose.

Chris

Oh. I think that was my misuse of words. Sometimes the fingers fly over the keyboard so slow that the brain can't keep up.

Reply to
CRWLR

Ahh, I see. That first cup magically transports itself out of your radiator, much like the missing socks in your sock drawer. Not.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

The original poster's complaint is that he has to keep adding a cup of coolant. He didn't say he had to add it every day, and he didn't say that he ever added more than a cup. It seems perfectly plausable to me that if all he is adding is a cup, then maybe it simply doesn't want that last cup full of coolant to be added. So, it seems to be a logical question to ask if it continues to spit coolant out if he neglects to top off that last cup that keeps getting spit out. If it doesn't lose any coolant after the first cup, then stop putting it back in and the problem will be solved.

I am only going by what the original poster has already told us, and he hasn't been back to tell us any more.

Reply to
CRWLR

I never replace the lost antifreeze. It does this every time I drive it for any length of time. I was asking if this is a standard jeep thing for small amounts of coolant is visible where the top skirt of the radiator is crimped on, of do I just need to replace the radiator ?

Thanks

Reply to
Kevin

Kevin did pass the time by typing:

Any leak there is "a bad thing." Your certain it is from there and not being sprayed there by a leaky hose?

You should plan on getting that replaced before it blows. That crimp between plastic and metal has got to be the most stupid idea I've ever seen. (nope, my radiator isn't leaking yet but I keep expecting it to one of these days) When it does I'll replace with an aluminum 3core.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
Jeepster

Reply to
Kevin

The jeep radiators often leak around that seam. Mine included. You can either ignore it like I do or replace the radiator.

Reply to
TJim