Resetting Error Codes

Apologies if this has been asked before and apologies if this isn't the right group. I have a '97 Cherokee with the 'Check Engine' light illuminated I've extracted the error codes and fixed the problem. How do I clear the error codes, currently I disconnect the battery in order to switch off the check engine light but, of course, this just adds the 'battery disconnected in the last 50 key cycles' error? Is there an easy way e.g a key combination or some contacts that I can bridge? I don't want to take it to the dealership as they are shysters and I don't have any programming hard/software.

Thanks in advance Steve Pickthall

Reply to
Steve Pickthall

Disconnect the battery for two minutes to reset all the codes. That will of course set the '12' code again but that's ok.

Jerry

Steve Pickthall wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Your Cherokee is OBD II compliant, this means you can use the diagnostic tool to reset the codes. AutoZone will let you use the tool for free, and you can erase the codes easily in a few seconds. You can also pull any code that may have been set, but you don't know about yet.

Here is a list of all of the possible codes,

Jeff Strickland

Here's a relatively inexpensive little toy I bought last fall from Harbor Freigh tools when I was having problems with my '98 TJ:

It reads and resets the codes.

Mark '98 TJ '98 XJ

Reply to
M. E. Bye

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005 14:51:17 +0000, M. E. Bye wrote (in message ):

Thanks for your replies chaps. I might see if I can get one of those gadgets.

Thanks again Steve Pickthall

Reply to
Steve Pickthall