STUPID QUESTION

I know this is a stupid question, but I just bought a TJ soft top (2000) and was wondering what some of you experienced Jeep owners do in this situation. Do you even bother to lock the doors on your jeep when you park it in public, thinking that it will deter most snatch and grab thieves, or do you leave them unlocked to avoid anyone cutting or tearing up the vinyl windows to get in. I have debated on which to do, but have been locking my doors because I live, work, and play in a relatively safe area and thought that most theives will avoid making a big scene to get in a car. But what are all of your thoughts? Thanks!

Reply to
Shane

Real Jeeps don't have locks..... just kidding.

My 1989 YJ didn't come with locks. But that didn't stop a jerk from cutting the back window to try to get my speakers anyway (he/she didn't get them). The idiot didn't realize there weren't locks. Another time I did have someone break into my console, they went through all my cds, but didn't like my taste in music. They left everything there. They broke the lock on the console, but it was an easy fix.

If a theif wants something there is no way to stop them, no way at all. Try to leave everything out of view so you don't temp them.

If you don't want it stolen, a good rule of thumb is to not put it in your Jeep.

-Mark

Reply to
Mark12211

Reply to
FrankW

LEAVE NOTHING INSIDE. Nothing. And do not lock the doors.

In 6 years of having a CJ, the only thing that has been removed from my Jeep is a flashlight. And, it was removed while I was at a rock crawling championship. Who woulda thunk that people that do what I do would also steal stuff from a Jeep?

Reply to
CRWLR

I don't leave anything in my jeep that I can't afford to lose. Things like my high-lift jack I bolt down so they are not easy and quick to remove but I still don't mind getting them out if I need them. I also carry an old scissor style jack ( because I don't trust a high-lift for changing tires ) that could be taken, but who would want to steal that? Now and then I will "hide" things like a poncho under the rear seat but once again nothing I can afford to lose. I don't even have a stereo or speakers.

Reply to
fletcher

I didn't realize some YJ's didn't come with locks. What year were locks introduced on the full doors of YJ's?

Adam

Reply to
Adam

Reply to
David C. Moller

I never lock my doors when my soft top is on. Try not to leave anything valuable in the Jeep with the soft top on.

I do lock my doors when my hardtop is on for the winter.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

my doors have no locks

Reply to
Joe

"Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try."

-Yoda

Reply to
Nathan Otis

When I first got the Jeep I locked the doors (because that is what I did with my other cars)... but now I don't bother... with a soft top and windows that have zippers, I see little reason...

Just don't keep anything valuable in the Jeep (the same caution you'd take with any convertible).

Reply to
Daniel Melameth

It keeps kids out if you lock it. A kid like some of my friends from way back in grade school can get in a car, shift into neutral, and pop the parking brake loose quicker than you can say "negligence tort."

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

My 87 YJ had locks. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

I have an insta-trunk.You can find used ones on ebay.I sprung for the Olympic becaus it comes up to the top of the sides and around the Sport bars.It was a quick install.$159.00

-Hank.

Reply to
COLLIDE13

I never lock the Jeepster. Either w/ the steel top or the vinyl one. I also only keep CDR burned copies of music in it (no resale for thieves), and only label them with stuff like 'roadtunes#1' or something that basically only means something to me. The in-dash CD player has a removable face and I always yank it if I'm parking in a lot. I also keep next to nothing in the Jeep anyway.

If they really want it, they'll get it.

Cheers, - Jeff G

67 Kaiser Jeepster Commando 50 Willys 4x4 Station Wagon
Bubba Kahuna

Reply to
FrankW

When we were looking for our second Jeep, we went to a lot, first one was soft top, doors locked, so we just unzipped window and sat in it to look, second one, hard top, of coarse they forgot to lock the trunk, so once again, in we went.

Reply to
Greg

Get yourself a Tuffy box and leave the doors unlocked. TrailMarker.

Reply to
TrailMarker

Can anyone explain this to me? When I post to this group, it takes as much as 24 hours to show up and, when it does, it already has six or eight replies to the post. Why is is taking so long to post and how are some of you apparently receiveing it before me???

Reply to
Shane

You post using Google Groups. If you use an NNTP news server like this free one that I use

then your messages are posted muchsooner. If you use one of the for-pay services you can even get binarygroups with pictures of nekkid women and such... Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton