Surprise Canyon Purchase

BACKGROUND Surprise Canyon is a rugged offroading adventure in Death Valley California. There is a trail leading from the desert floor up the canyon to Panamint City. Panamint City is an old "ghost town" that sprouted up around a mine, then died off when the mine was closed.

This is a popular offroading destination among the rock crawling community, and offers some of the most extreme offroading available anywhere. (I have not personally been on this route, but I have seen pics and heard stories.) Here is one of many links that can be found by doing a search on "Panamint City".

THE PROBLEM The enviros are working to close the historically significant county road that leads up the canyon to Panamint City. They shouldn't be allowed to close historical routes, but I do not recall what loop hole they are leveraging in pursuit of the closure.

THE SOLUTION The enviros can not close private property, and the property is For Sale. There is a group that is associated, by membership only, with the California Association of Four Wheel Drive Clubs. Cal4Wheel has no official participation that I am aware of (but I have not been an active participant for a while now), but the people that are working to purchase the property are members of Cal4Wheel, and that is all they have in common -- aside from thier love of offroading, and preservation of offroading routes in California's deserts.

In any case, there is a group that is forming a corporation whos only goal is to purchase the various parcels that make up the land sale. They are looking for interested parties to participate in the corporation, and if you might be interested, take a look at the following letter. There is an email address at the end, and you can feel free to make contact with that person for more details.

FOR THE SKEPTICS I know the guy leading this drive, and he is trustworthy and honest. This is a very real offer that he is making, and asking participation in. I received this letter in my email, and due to the very small window of opportunity, I felt on my own that broadcasting to a larger group might be useful to the effort.

Surprise Canyon Property Purchase

You are receiving the letter because you have expressed interest in purchasing property in Surprise Canyon near Panamint City. The intended property consists of three separate parcels. The Challenge Silver Mine (9.73 acres), Challenge Silver Mill Site (1.93 acres), and the Stewarts Wonder Mill Site (4.895 acres). These are all patented mining claims. These are some of the last if not the last of the property that is on the floor of the canyon. Surprise Canyon Road goes right through the center of these properties. The price of these properties is $ 500 per acre for mine site properties and $1000 per acre for mill site. The mines are cheaper because they have a mine adit or tunnel that will have to be closed off. Total cost is 11,696.83.

The cost per person to join this one time purchase is $ 500 per person and I will limit it to only one purchase per person and a total of 30 investors. The reason of the limit is that way everyone is equal. The $500 per person will generate $15000; the access will be used to pay for a COC (certificate of compliance), property taxes, and to form a corporation. Once we have all the money in and the paper work started we will have meeting to name our group and to elect a board of directors. There are many ways to set this up and those will be discussed at the meeting. We are currently waiting on a letter of acceptance from the owner. If you are interested send me the money!!! I would like to have this done by the end of April or sooner!

Make your check out to Val Henry, 967 Knoll St. Devore Ca. 92407, in the notes section write Surprise Canyon Property. On a separate slip of paper write down how you wish your name to listed on the deed eg; John Doe, John J Doe. Mr. John Doe you get the idea. You will be listed on the deed in the manner she receives your check; you will receive an email or letter of confirmation.

If you have any questions or want more info email snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net

Thanks Dave

Reply to
CRWLR

It is my understanding that the interested parties did not want this broadcast all over the Internet. Please check with the original sender of the e-mail before you broadcast it further.

Robert Bills KG6LMV Orange County CA

Robert Bills

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I won't send it again.

Reply to
CRWLR

Read the letter Bill.

Reply to
CRWLR

This is an outstanding way to go about protecting significant trails, and Surprise Canyon is one of those. I wheeled Surprise Canyon with 12 other ramj+w wheelers when this group used to actually be a cohesive group that enjoyed each other enough to want to wheel together... before it was "taken over" by a few that barely, if ever, wheel. I heartily recommend those with the financial resources to buy into this to do so. I have a few pics of Surprise Canyon in my website, below in my signature in the Death Valley section.

Jerry

participant

(certificate

Reply to