Wrangler shuts down.

I have a 92 wrangler that after it runs alittle it starts to run rough and then quits. You sit for alittle bit pump the gas like hell and it starts right up, then goes for alittle bit. I have changed the fuel filter and just changed the fuel pump this weekend. I have no idea what it can be, any ideas? Thanks Dean.

Reply to
Dean

it's EFI, right? Why do you 'pump the gas'?

Have you measured the fuel pressure?

Get a manual for your vehicle! __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

Dean did pass the time by typing:

ideas, lots. The right one.. dunno.

CPS sensor, ignition coil/plugs/wires. EFI or carb?

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Dean

Dean did pass the time by typing:

Ok.. about a mile or two is when the engine usually gets warmed up and switches out of the open loop mode. That brings into play the O2 sensor and Crankshaft Position Sensor (the one in the distributor).

If you were driving an old Chevy I'd suspect the gas tank breather was clogged (eventually the pump pulls such a vacuum it starves for fuel.)

Any buildup of oil in the distributor base? I was having rough idle due to the bushing getting worn out.

How old is your O2 sensor and check the cable that runs up past the engine block, it sometimes gets wedged in the clip and burns through.

Reply to
DougW

DougW did pass the time by typing:

er.. Camshaft position sensor... sorry, CPS =/= CPS and I'm low on coffee.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
Dean

Dean did pass the time by typing:

Yep.

If you are going to replace it the whole distributor has to come out and there is a little pin at the bottom you take out to remove the gear. Then the guts slide out and you can replace the sensor.

Not too difficult providing you mark exactly where the rotor is pointing before you remove it. Similar to this..
Any codes?
Keep in mind I'm working from a 93 ZJ 4.0. Should be the same..

Reply to
DougW