60K Maintenance - Timing Belt

I was looking in my manual for the 60K maintenance items I'll need to do. (I just rolled past 60K this week.) I noticed that the timing belt says to replace - except in California. We only have to inspect it and are suggested to replace it.

Interesting. I wonder why that is.

Reply to
PerfectReign

That is odd. Maybe it's sturdier in CA than in the other States and parts of the world...

-- Christian

Reply to
CMM

Low emissions belts, last longer by law.

Reply to
chrome

"Chrome," in a response about why replacing the timing belt is not required in California said: "Low emissions belts, last longer by law." ......

That may be part of it, but I also know that the California Attorney General's office got deluged with complaints in the early days of timing belts, when companies (especially Honda) started making them part of required maintenance.

Since maintenance used to involve oil, plugs, fluids (even points and condenser years back), all of which were reasonably priced, this was worse than sticker shock. No matter what the car was (and is), replacing it is very expensive and time consuming.

So California actually passed a law banning automakers from REQUIRING timing belt replacement.

Nice idea, but the timing belts still break, even in California. What I am told is that what some of the dealers are now doing is, if they break during, say a 100,000 mile warranty, after 60,000 but before 100,000, they will look for proof that you had the belt inspected.

Say what you will. Until a car gives a relatively reliable feel of how long it can go between timing belts, (that is several years of the same motor showing many mechanics about how long it goes), best stick with the maintenance schedule, or close to it.

Hope this helps.

Tom Wenndt

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

I changed mine of both Sportages, 2000 and 2001 at 60k. the belt, rollers and water pump were under $100 total. took about 4 hours once you figured out how to get the alternator barcket off (and back on). did plugs, fuel filter, and a lower hose and valve cover gaskets while I had it all apart. I actually bought the parts from a guy on eBay who has and ebay store called the Parts Dinosoar. really helpful, nice fellow. other thing you should inspect is the EGR valve and the onnector attached to it. the pins corrode sometimes if the rubber cover has been moved or not locked on.

Reply to
helix

I changed my timing belt on a 2K Accent @ 60K. This car now has 94K and running great, will I need to change the timing belt again @ 120K?

Tom

Reply to
pm4hire

Could be worse. Optima needs the timing belt changed at 45,000. That was a surprise.

Reply to
Kevin

Hi

I visited my regular KIA mechanic and whilst he acknowledge what the manual menti> I was looking in my manual for the 60K maintenance items I'll need to do.

Reply to
badaveil

it's your proximity to an earth quake zone. They figure sooner or later you won't make it, so they are off the hook. Or maybe the California attitude. Hey Dude, my engine just disintigrated, That cool or what? In new york we change them at 60k because we are all so uptight, we are waiting for something to go wrong, so we can blame the government and sue everybody.

Reply to
helix

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 08:44:32 -0400, helix took a five-minute break from flipping burgers to boot the etch-a-sketch and scribble out:

ROTFLMAO!!

Reply to
PerfectReign