1995 Disco series 1 fuel leak

Hello all. The wife's '95 Discovery series 1 has sprung an intermittant fuel leak. She told me it was leaking when she topped off her fuel tank today. I thought filler hoses -- I checked back up there, and sure enough it looks like one or two of the hoses are cracked. Unfortunately, I don't know what I'm looking at!

There are two hoses -- the fat filler hose with a rubber midsection clamped on and a thinner rubber hose that runs from some unseen location above the fuel tank back up to some other unseen location by the fuel filler inlet, presumably.

The upper passenger side (U.S. so right side from behind) is also wet, I'm assuming from the fuel running down the culprit hose, onto the tank, and then dripping off the bottom of the rear of the frame rail.

She HAS had the fuel tank replaced recently as per the recall notice informing Land Rover owners of possibly faulty tanks so I don't think the tank is leaking.

I have a decent ammount of experience working on cars, but mostly my small Japanese sports cars. I've done brakes and oil changes on her Disco and fixed the rear door latch, but nothing else.

Anyone know how much the labor will cost to fix this problem? Parts cost? Please enlighten me. =)

Thanks

Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

On or around 27 Nov 2006 16:38:47 -0800, "Anthony" enlightened us thusly:

the thinner one (about 1" OD) is a vent from the tank to the filler neck - it comes from a stub on the tank above/beside the main inlet and attaches to a shortish length of steel pipe attached near the top of the filler neck.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks! Any estimates on the labor to replace both of these hoses? I'm not so sure I want to mess with this myself.

Reply to
Anthony

On or around 28 Nov 2006 06:17:36 -0800, "Anthony" enlightened us thusly:

it's not that hard. IIRC there are screws holding the filler part into the wing. Your main hassle is undoing clips on the hoses, but if it's had the tank changed that might be easier.

dunno about labour. on the face of it, even if the clips are a pain, I can see no justification for taking more than about half an hour over it, but then again, a LR garage once quoted my parents over 300 quid to replace a

300 TDi brake vacuum pump. The pump was 109 retail; it takes all of 15 minutes to change one. Basically, they were taking the piss.

If you have a decent honest mechanic it shouldn't be to pricey.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Anthony:

These may be covered under the fuel tank recall. Have you had your LR serviced under this?

I have a '96, LR D1, 3.9L, NAS and had the tank, hoses, gaskets, and various other fittings replaced for free. I opted to replace the fuel pump while they were at it for an additional ~$150.00 (just the cost of the pump), no labor.

Check it out.

Reply to
Jack

Jack uttered summat worrerz funny about:

He did say so in the origional message.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 18:38:47 -0600, Anthony wrote (in article ):

This sounds very familiar. My tank was replaced under the recall and six months later those hoses failed on me. Actually the plastic fitting on top of the tank broke. These really should have been replaced during the recall. There is the possibility that the damage was done during the repair. One reason why I do not do business with the dallas dealership is that they never ask if you want something replaced while we have it apart. Or let you know something else might be going. When it failed in San Antonio it cost me over $600 to get if fixed. The parts cost was meaningless. The San Antonio dealership replaced the fuel pump while they had the tank out. They always look for other issues while they have my Disco.

It's is a 1996 with 110K miles on it.

If you have an old Disco I would suggest replacing the belt tensioner. Mine just failed on me.

Hud

Reply to
Disco Duck