Loss of power - 300Tdi - Again

I recently posted about a loos of power on my disco 300Tdi. It turns out that the cause was a small thin pipe that runs somwhere around the back of the engine block and I think into the injector pump.

Not sure of its workings, but it was enough to loose all signs of turbo power. New pipe was fashioned (LR South Africa quoted R550 and six weeks delivery) and this seems to have cured it.

Problem is that wagon does not have the power it used to. Definitely more, but nowhere near full power. I battle to get up any kind of hill over

90km/h.

I am not sure what sort of nick the injectors are in, and I assume that fueling problems are beyond amature diagnosis, apart from leaks which I do not seem to have. So focusing on the turbo, are there any easy -read cheap - ways of plumbing into the pressured side of the turbo and getting a reading of what sort of boost the turbo is developing? This seems the most obvious candidate for power loss considering the levels of boost the Tdi runs.

Regards Stephen

PS: I replaced the rubber hoses on the intercooler etc when I sorted out.

Reply to
fanie

On or around Tue, 28 Nov 2006 11:49:57 +0200, "fanie" enlightened us thusly:

Probably goes to the injector pump to increase the fuel in response to turbo boost pressure. Having it not connected, would not increase the fuel above the non-boost setting.

is it a normal pump or an EDC?

does it have EGR? If so, either check that it's working correctly, or blank the sod off if you can get away with it in ZA - depends on what your equivalent of vehicle testing has in the way of exhaust gas testing.

EGR connects exhaust to inlet under certain conditions, if it's not shutting or not shutting properly the rest of the time then it'll spoil the running.

Boost pressure could be off - if for example the wastegate has gone iffy.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hi Fanie,

Have you not got an independent LR guy near you. I know there's one just off the N1 between Fourways and Randpark. I'm sure that they could do a boost check for you. It's quite easy - that pipe you said had come loose advances the pump timing when the turbo is providing boost. My independent guy here in Zimbabwe put a T-piece in there and ran a flexible tube into the car with a pressure gauge on the end. Should get about 1 bar on full acceleration.

I had a similar loss of power, but in my case, it was the injector pump going due to the crud fuel that we get here in Zim. I had the pump serviced by a diesel place, who have got all the stuff to handle the Bosch pumps. I subsequently had to change the injectors - we think that when the pump rollers died, bits of metal ended up in the injector bodies, and was blocking the flow. As they'd done 180,000, I decided to change them rather than attempt to re-nozzle them.

I presume the basics liek air and fuel filters are OK?

Cheers! Graham Carter Harare Zimbabwe

Reply to
Graham Carter