1996 discovery V8i fuel usage

Hi all

Following responses from my first post, I marched off to my Landrover Franchise and questioned why I am getting consistantly 350-370 km's out of a tank of fuel, this equates to around 20 litres per 100 km. Information is I should be using around 15 litres per 100 km's.

The weirdest thing is, last week it ran to half a tank of fuel and was on track for appropriate fuel usage and from halfway on the gauge it just drank it.

My daily running is too and from school, this means about 8 km's open road and 2 km's across town, I live rurally so across town is not a lot of stop start.

The Landrover franchise put it on the computors and found nothing wrong, the franchise is around 80km away and they used this journey to do a fuel check, the result was around 12litres per 100km.

I am at a loss, I am driving very carefully, never exceeding 2200 rpm, no quick getaways. I dont mind saying that this franchise has behaved less than honest in the whole deal on this car, I badly need some ideas as this is costing me 90 dollars a week in fuel.

Hope someone can help.

On the subject of the franchises behavoir, does anyone know who I can speak to at Landrovers head office, heres the story, I modified a 96 110 to accomodate my disability, due to regulation changes over here, the air suspension had to be removed, this left me (a single parent with two kids) having to urgently replace the 110. I went to Landrover as there were no other comparable 110's availiable in the country, I figured a good apraisal/deal. The salesman offered me 23000 based on his retail valuation of 30,000. This week they put my old 110 on the yard at 38000. Assuming that they will negotiate from that price and eventually sell the car for 34000, they STOLE 4000. I read the Landrover magazines like most enthusiates and get the impression that in the UK Landrover is a cut above the rest. That dosnt strech to thier foreign franchises.

Interested in thoughts.

Reply to
Simon

Simon composed the following;:

It doesn't stretch to UK Landrover franchises either ...

I steer well clear of them. Mind, that's probably also because I have an 'older' vehicle and they (mostly) are only bothered in the initial sales of vehicles, they simply don't care for after-sales 'service' or care.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

On or around Tue, 15 Mar 2005 18:53:52 +1300, "Simon" enlightened us thusly:

sounds a little on the low side (equates to 14 mpg, according to my calculator) but...

short journey with a basically cold engine - 10 klicks is only just about enough to get it fully warmed up. Therefore, it'll be running enriched, no doubt. If you do a lot of that and little open road, then your figure ain't far off, in truth.

a much more reasonable 23.5mpg - I seriously doubt you'll get a V8 disco to do more than that, even on a steady run.

My 3.5, by comparison, does about 18 mpg driven normally, and might go as high as 20 by driving steadily and keeping the speed down, but that's no fun.

can't quite see that the franchise has been dishonest (re: the fuel bit), unless they promised you the car would get 10l/100km all the time or something. Lets face facts: you have a 2-ton vehicle with (I guess) a

4-litre engine. It's gonna use a lot of fuel, however carefully you drive, and your daily mileage as described is not calculated to get good mileage anyway. The fact that on a 100K+ run, you get what I reckon is about as good mileage as you're likely to shows the vehicle is working correctly.

Oh, FFS. welcome to the real world. Salesmen aren't in it for love of you or the car, they're in it to make money. They'll give you the lowest trade-in you'll accept and put the truck on the forecourt for the highest price they think they can get away with.

and in the case of a franchise, I doubt LR head office have that much contort over them. But feel free to try. I'm sure the necessary contact details are on the web somewhere.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The OP doesn't state where he is. My crystal ball may be wrong, but if I'm right, isn't that the place where they are all descended from a bunch of criminals anyway? ;-)

Reply to
Colonel Tupperware

On or around Tue, 15 Mar 2005 08:35:04 +0000, Colonel Tupperware enlightened us thusly:

meant to add: If you didn't like the deal, why'd you agree to the trade-in?

hehe. car salesmen will fit right in, then :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Ok thats the fuel usage answered, been a while since I drove a petrol fueled car I guess.

Re the salesman behavoir.......Not not australia, close though, new zealand. Not a case of accepting a deal I wasnt happy with, there were no comparable

110's for sale in the country, so its more a case of accepting the salesmans word on the value to find later that this value was false, I think we can accept that 8000 dollars is more than a simple mistake.

Good news though, my lawyer informs me that this is a clear case of the deal being obtained through deceiptful means, so lets go.

Oh btw, Australia may have been settled with convicts but lets not forget two points...

  1. they were English convicts.

  1. Most were sent down for petty crimes, even as petty as stealing bread. What does that say for the Englishmen who sent them there and indeed remained in Britain to father future generation of English.

Reply to
Simon

I'd be a bit careful about your lawyer's advice - actually getting any sort of settlement is likely to cost you as much in legal fees as you may receive. Realistically, at the end of the day you agreed to the value they put on your 110, if you didn't do your homework and wish to cry about it after the event it's pretty much your own fault.

Incidentally, there's a 1998 110 done about 120,000km that's currently sitting in a Christchurch dealership for $38K - so I'd guess that the price on yours is somewhat optimistic, and that what you were paid for it was probably fair enough especially as the market for used late model Defenders here is fairly small (I paid about what you got as a trade for a similar sounding vehicle last year).

Reply to
EMB

On or around Wed, 16 Mar 2005 09:53:00 +1300, "Simon" enlightened us thusly:

I wish you luck. I doubt you can get anywhere on the advertised price; they'l probably claim that they don;t expect to actually sell it for that much, or something - if however they sell it for 38K, then they have rather seriously misled you.

not sure how you prove it, in that case.

but anyway, give it a go. A letter from a lawyer might magically make them discover a "clerical error" in the deal they offered you, or something...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yep I know about the one in Christchurch, Guess who used to own it. :) I said 96 early on I meant 98 (96 is the year of the Disco).

I will say one thing without hesitation, the Mechanical department is good, they are attending to the faults that were discovered on the discovery without problems.

Reply to
Simon

Try Land Rover NZ - (09) 277-5050

Reply to