2.5 TD starting clicking/ lurching

Hi all! Im usually ok at this sort of thing but this has me stumped!

I own a 2.5TD 110 station wagon which is experiencing a problem when starting in that when i heat the plugs, the dash volt meter drops (is this right)& when cranking over it sounds as if the starter relay is clicking on & off & the starter motor keeps stopping & starting but when the battery is fully charged after about 10 secs it cranks over (slowly as the battery has had a lot of work to do) & starts. I've tried a new starter motor, starter relay, Battery (2nd one as the first bosch one was knackered) & quite frankly am spending a lot of time scratching my head whilst looking at the landrover .....the neighbours will begin to think i have a problem.....

Any ideas or pearls of wisdom will be welcoe

Reply to
Tim bombadil

Have you checked the earh strap from the starter to the chassis? Mine was loose and that was enough to make it almost impossible to start first thing in the day. Made it crank very slowly and smoke come off the starter casing when you cranked it over for a long time! (as it earthed through it)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Yup, quite normal, it's due to the high current drain from the heater plugs.

the clicking from the starter solenoid happens when it can't get enough power.

My advice, check your earth connection from battery to chassis and from engine to chassis.

I would get an additional heavy wire and run it directly from the battery negative to one of the starters mounting bolts to ensure the starter gets as much juice as possible.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Had the same prob with my starter on the Ninety. A good earth strap cured that too!!

Reply to
90ninety

So 90ninety was, like

And on my RRC!