£210

FFS.

£210 for a Toerag in W1 seems fair, and even generous. £210 for a 10-yr-old diesel Defender on a farm?

These people have No Idea.

Reply to
John Smith

John Smith uttered summat worrerz funny about:

No mention as I see it on 10 year old vehicles just new for the new bands.... i.e. pre 2001 I think you will find it'll cost you £5 more a year.

Seems fair to me, only wish they would offer a VED incentive for LPG'd vehicles, but the lower tax on the forecourt price again is fair enough I suppose.

Not a bad turnout for 4x4 drivers in my opinion and no worse than equally polluting similarly engined NEW and post 2001 vehicles.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

I understand the £210 road tax rate is for all vehicles that emit more than a certain level of CO2 pollution. Can anyone confirm exactly what level has been specified.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Richard uttered summat worrerz funny about:

start reading at page 170 , it's a Big file though.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

If I read it correctly it only talks about petrol engines....

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

The actual changes are...

  • Vehicles registered before 1st March 2001

Duty for vehicles above 1549cc increased from £170 to £175. Duty for smaller engines unchanged at £110.

  • Vehicles registered on or after 1st March 2001

Band D and E vehicles have their duty unchanged. Vehicles with lower emissions have cheaper RFL, and vehicles with higher emissions get more expensive.

For vehicles that don't fall into the next group, the highest band is still F, with petrol RFL rising from £165 to £190, and diesel rising from £170 to £195.

  • Vehicles registered on or after 23rd March 2006

This has the new GVED band "G". For emissions of 226 g/km or more of CO2, this introduces a RFL of £200 for alternative fuels, £210 for petrol, and £215 for diesel.

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

That's what I thought, but then it mentions buses - which are likely to be diesel.

What I want to know is:

- What CO2/km is my 1997 Disco 1 likely to chuck out? I have MOT Test smokemetre printouts but it's not clear what the numbers mean.

- Does this new stepped VED rate apply to my car - or just to newly registered ones, or registered after 2001 or petrol only?

As with most Budget announcements I'm confused! I shall wait till I get the bill.

Judith

Reply to
Judith

Ah, I see. Thanks for that.

Judith

Reply to
Judith

Cheers I'll scan that section.

BTW I see a Greanpeace have stated they would like the top band to be nearer £1800 per year.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Well - as long as we bring in a charge for belchy diesel vessels of whatever class Rainbow Warrior is of around Greenpeaces entire income plus a fiver then that's fine.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Way I see it, I escape with an increase of £5 being as my Landie is too old to have any carbon emmissions calculated against it, and is anyhow already in the higher band of pre 2001 vehicles. Would have been a nice gesture if he allowed another 5 years on the historical vehicle category though. Nothing like as scary as we were led to believe anyhow and no blanket tax on

4X4 for 4X4's sake
Reply to
Larry

It's quoted in the Vehicle Reg. Document ......... just looked at mine for a TD4 and it gives 205G/KM so even new ones of those will stay outside the new top band.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

If Greenpeace really had any sence they would go for the insurance companies instead and encourage them to make Chelsea Tractors virtually uninsurable.

I lost faith with Greenpeace when they overestimated the amount of pollutants in that oil platform that was towed out to sea and sunk.

Fortunately they are destroying there own case by aiming for such a ridiculosly high taxband.

Reply to
Larry

Mine has no figures quoted on the V5C. The space is there but there are no printed figures.

Judith

Reply to
Judith

Why? We are also walkers and do most of it in the Surrey Hills where we are constantly amazed to find houses with long unmade roads leading to them, a "Chelsea Tractor" would be the only sensible vehicle in the winter (well a normal wet muddy winter). I certainly would not wish to drive my 3 series on some of those roads even in the summer for fear of grounding, a VW Golf would have no chance. With their long travel suspension CTs also make sense if you are surrounded with speed humps.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Based on that, I only get a £5 increase on all my vehicles, which is OK. I've not got anything newer than 1997!

It seems odd that they're taxing diesel engines more than petrol for newer cars though, I know that diesel is more polluting on a local basis but it's less polluting on a global basis. Diesel pollution is more of a problem in cities but that can be dealt with locally, and a diesel car that hardly ever goes into a city (like mine) doesn't contribute to that. Diesels are also more readily converted to burn better fuels.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

"John Smith" wrote

Of course they have no idea, John Prescott does not have a driving licence and for that matter neither does Ken Livingstone the Mayor of London. How many guys their age do you know that have never driven, and we have two of them making laws that affect driving! It's a crazy country we live in.

Regards Bob Hobden

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Smoke CO2. If your vehicle has a CO2 rating it'll be on your V5 and I think on your RFL renewal deamnd.

My 2001 DII TD5 chucks out 262g/km of CO2.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Ditto. My MOT documentation printed on the standard white paper with white ink says 1.77 K (1/m), whatever that means.

ISTR sommat about vehicles of a certain age not needing emissions tests other than a simple smoke test. My 1997/1998 audi also has no other test according to the MOT docs.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

17th May 2001... f*ck.

Note: Vehicles registered from tommorow. So *all* currently registered =

vehicles with CO2 emmisions above 186g/km will stay in Band F and pay: Diesel =A3195, Petrol =A3190, Alternative =A3180. So it isn't quite as b= ad as the news could have you believe.

Bit of a pain if you are getting a new car registered tommorow and it's =

above 226g/km. Registered today and you'd be in band F at =A3195, tommor= ow band G and =A3215 (diesel).

has all the blurb.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice