96 Disco 1 Power Steering

Hello,

I have a '96 Disco that has low power steering assist when the vehicle is stopped or low RPM. Makes parallel parking, slow backing, etc. difficult.

I am assuming that the power steering pump is going, but am concerned that it could be the gearbox? Neither is leaking and the fluid is full. Is there a way to tell for sure where the problem is?

I have heard that Disco 1 power steering pumps rarely fail. Is it possible that its the gearbox and not the pump or should I just replace the pump?

Thanks for your input.

Reply to
DH

Check the condition of the belt and the tension first

-- "For those who are missing Blair - aim more carefully."

To reply direct rot13 me

bURRt the 101 Camper

200TDi Disco with no floor - its being fixed at last! 200 TDi Disco, "the offroader" 1976 S3 Lightweight
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Hi Darin,

Is this something that has changed recently or has the steering been getting heavier over time? There are (potentially) other things that could be causing this - like worn out tyres, for example.

As has already been suggested, check the drive belt tension first - cos it costs nothing to do ;-)

Does the steering "groan" when on full lock? If you up the revs does the steering get lighter? Both of these are symptomatic of either a loose belt or tired pump.

Don't lose sight of the fact that this is a 12 year old car so it's entitled to suffer a bit of wear and tear :-)

Reply to
SteveG

Thanks for the replies. The belt is tight, is about 9 months old and looks brand new. The problem started all at once one day after about a 50 mile drive. I noticed it when I pulled into my driveway. There is no noise or groaning from the system, low RPM or otherwise.

When I was checking the belt tension, I noticed that the hose from the steering box to the reservoir has a slight kink in it and its pretty stiff from age. Perhaps that's it. It would seem to be on the output side of the steering box. Anyone know if there are any filters in the hoses or system.

Perhaps the next step is to replace the hoses first?

Reply to
DH

I straightened out the kink by repositioning the hose slightly. No change. I was hoping that was it, but since it was post pump, I am not surprised.

Reply to
DH