Radio Code Problem

I have a 1999 Disco 1 and I had to change the battery lately. After changing the battery the radio is asking for a code to unlock it.

I have called two different LR dealers here locally to ask for the code. I gave them the last eight numbers of my VIN and they looked it up and gave me a 4 digit code.

When I go to my radio and enter in the code it doesn't work. In my manual for the truck it says there should be a five digit code and also when I enter numbers into the radio four digits gets no reaction but when I press in a fifth number I get a beep which to me would mean it requires a five digit code.

So I am thinking there is one of two possibilities:

  1. There is a special way to enter the code and I am not doing it right. Is there some other button I should press besides the 4 digit code? Like Band, Prog?

  1. I have the wrong code and if that is the case I have no idea what else can be done. Is there any trick to resetting the radio to make it work?

I do know about the security setting where if you enter the numbers incorrectly a few times it will lock you out and you have to wait an hour. I have done that at least four times now and tried entering the code in again with no success.

Thanks for any help!

Reply to
jsovick

There is a company in/around London called "Decode" (Tel: 01322290204). I had battery trouble with my Classic RR, at one point, and, eventually, the radio wouldn't take the proper code supplied from my original documents (it had worked loadsa times ... then just stopped) I called them up, they sent a man with a laptop out, it cost £25 and, now, I never have to put the code in after battery problems.

Of course that leads us to the usual security/theft issues but, if it's a reasonable old unit, there's not the temptation, anyway.

Regards,

Reply to
CJ

Presumably the same code from each dealer?

Has the radio ever been changed? Unless a dealer did it the LR records won't have been updated, even if a dealer did it I wouldn't put any money on the records being updated...

Hopefully some one else will confirm the 5 digits and how to enter them.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Same code from both dealers. The radio in my Discovery is the original radio.

Thanks,

Jason

Reply to
jsovick

In article , " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" writes

Have you tried the old freezer trick?

Seal the radio in a dry plastic bag and place in bottom of your freezer for a week or so. Warm it up without removing it from the bag (prevents condensation). This should (might!) clear the EEPROM, in which case it'll have its ex-factory code/settings.

A dealer should then be able to set it, or tell you what the ex-factory code is, from which you can set your own code. This is assuming the thing isn't individually hard-coded on the production line (unlikely), but keyed to the car when it's installed.

It doesn't always work, either, but very much depends on the way the security is set up, and I don't know enough about those radios (mine on the Defender is missing), to know.

Cheap to try though...

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig